forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ground Clearance  (Read 4444 times)

the_wirewalker

• Greece
Ground Clearance
« on: June 29, 2023, 09:46:56 AM »

Good morning guys,
Just a small chat concerning our FFs...I find myself trying to avoid speed bumps or bad gravel road since I consider the car to be really low. I searched the internet and found that its ground clearance is 130mm, which is practically the ground clearance of sports cars. My ff is the 1.1 with 195/50/15 tyres and stock springs.
How do you feel about it? I consider it very low for forfours other than the Brabus (which is practically a sports car).
454 Passion 1.1 manual

Ocracoke

• The Wirral - OHai! Om nom nom...
    • WirralSmarts
Re: Ground Clearance
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 10:46:48 AM »

Never really had an issue with it, depsite the many speedhumps here in the UK. I've used both the steel wheels and 17" Grandlines. The only time when it has been an issue for me is when the exhaust has been dragging at the muffler end but that is more down to the fact that mine is currently ruined beyond belief. Sporty driving is a no go at the moment :(

How old are the shock absorbers in your car? Over time, they will perish and will need replacing which should help with ground clearence. 130mm, however, is about "right" from a "the last time I worked on the car in the middle of the burning hot countryside trying to mend my exhaust without a jack" memory. Have you measured yours on flat, level ground?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:49:52 AM by Ocracoke »

2004 ForFour 1.3 AMT - The yellow 454!

http://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5224.0 - The WirralSmarts mod/upgrade thread

1x 454 1.3 S-A, 1x 450 RHD mk5, 1x 450 mk5 CDI

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 10:38:19 PM »

As a point of comparison, Motorsport UK mandate a minimum of 3.5" (or 89mm) ground clearance for Speed events
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 12:40:29 PM by CrazyG »
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 12:59:11 PM »

the-wirewalker....there have been previous/older posts in respect of the ride and dare
I say the height/ground clearance of the 454.

For many; escpecially Brabus owners; who would like a smoother more compliant ride the
solution appears in their case to be to change to a smaller wheel diameter (16" v 17") and
go up a level in the profile to resolve the problem....as in to go from 205/40R17 to 195/45R16
which is the same ride height but taller tyre sidewalls for 'comfort'.
For increased ground clearance on a non-Brabus, Alex went from 195/50R15 to 175/65R15
and fitted CDI front springs....and at the rear fitted 4cm tall spring spacers and even bigger tyres
of 185/65R15) for no good reason other than looks !
(according to this post :- https://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7406.msg79373#msg79373 )

One always has to bear in mind that if one changes tyre sizes from original that it will affect the accurancy
of the car speedometer...even allowing for the actual misreading of almost all old car speedometers.
Thankfully, most if not all SatNav's show a more accurate speed reading....so one can use that if one
is worried about getting caught by speed camera.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

the_wirewalker

• Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 03:38:08 PM »

My rear shocks are new, but the front ones look a little bit tired...
Anyhow, I am used to the car and do not want to change it...I like the look on my friends' faces when going fast on a bend with my little 1.1 engine ;D, they do not expect it!
454 Passion 1.1 manual