forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rare ForFour  (Read 5670 times)

CarreraLightweightRacing

• Espana
Rare ForFour
« on: February 11, 2023, 06:42:51 PM »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 122PS SB3 engine 454. To be brutally honest I've had next to no experience with the ForFour other than as a hire car many moons ago (2005) in Sardinia. The memory of this car has always left a lasting impression. I've been very lucky to own some truly wonderful cars but have always had an inkling to revisit one of these. I've found what looks to be a really good car albeit with a few miles on the clock and wondered if you guys could be of some assistance. Are they known for for their durability? When is an engine overhaul likely to be needed? I read about a valve clearance check every 60k which is no big deal, but are there any known issues I should look out for at over 100k miles? I have a history with some rather unique cars and this one really tickles my fancy. Is there much in terms of tuning available for these cars? I may just go a little crazy with it and create something a little mad. Watch this space. Thanks in advance for your help and guidance

Coverman

• Leeds
Re: Rare ForFour
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 08:33:12 AM »

Really if you want to get plenty of power from a 454 then you need the Brabus Turbo car.
Whichever 454 you buy, beware of failing rear axle bushings because they are a bear to replace. Likewise, power steering motor failure is a problem because the motor alone cannot usually be sourced
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 04:20:58 PM by CrazyG »
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 04:49:25 PM »

Nice n very clean looking SB3....
I note that this has a few Brabus 'accoutriments' such as Monoblock IV wheel's..
(although one cannot clearly see if they are the normal 'split offset' of 7" fronts
 on 205 tyres, and 8" rears on 225 tyres), plus it has the Brabus front lower lip
spoiler....BUT...it does not have Brabus side skirts.  Without a rear photo one
cannot say or  see if it has a genuine Brabus tailgate spoiler or a Brabus lower
rear valance splitter.  However, it is in the special 'Starlight' colour combo of the
Titanium Grey 'Tridion' and silver panels.

The SB3's were not made on the production line, they were all 'upgraded' 1.5 petrol
non turbo Passion models (usually) that were converted/modified at the dealership.
The uprated engine was the mainstay, having revised camshafts, uprated vale springs
and a few other changes..a remap being an essential to suit the engine changes.
Body mods; such as the addition of any of the Brabus items like the front lip spoiler
were all options, as well as any upgrades to the interior such as leather seats, the
centre armrest, multifunction steering wheel, Brabus gear knob etc etc.
basically almost anything could be specified, but this was down to how much the
customer wanted (or the dealer specified as a 'display' or test drive vehicle) which
were added to the car when it was first ordered from MB/Smart.  Every one was
an individual vehicle.

You'll be pleased to know that there are 2 or possibly 3 members with SB3's...
mr singh being one that springs to mind immediately, as well as DragonLogicX
and El Tel if I remember correctly. I'm sure 1 if not all of them will be along
at some point to add their comments and knowledge about their SB3's.

All 454 petrol engines (including the Brabus) are Mitsubishi, and if serviced regularly
they are reliable and durable...nĂ© bomb proof.  All bar the Brabus have a timing chain.
(The diesel is the only MB engine, and is 3/4 of the early A180 2litre unit...that is strong)
You ask about 'overhaul', and something about over 100k miles..what is the mileage ?

As per Coverman...rear axle locating bushes are close to their 'end of life' by now
and should be replaced with SuperPro poly bushes preferably.  It's not an impossible
job to do if you have the right equipment, especially so when one has to 'draw' the
new poly bushes into the axle after removing the old metal encased rubber ones.
And yes, the power steering on any 454 may need looking into if it starts to play
up. So far no one has come across anyone who refurbishes just the electric motor
as that is where most of the issues come from. However, my opinion has always been
that it should be possible to do as it is usually worn brushes or a clogged/dirty
commutator that needs seeing to...much like an lternator refurb job.
Alternatively one could possibly find a good second rack from a breaker from a 454
or even a Colt (2004-2012) and swap the motors over.
Note:- the Brabus rack appears to be a 'quick racks', but that in in truth only has a
          smaller limited turning circle compared to other 454 models. (Necessary as
          the wider front wheels would otherwise hit the inner arch on full deflection..
          the 'inner arch' being the front floor pan and which cannot be modified.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:25:31 AM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

cecil

• Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 03:45:18 PM »

Looks like someone has taken care of this brab. Note the paint on brake caliper  and lack of clouding of headlights.

SB3s are really rare. Let us know the options included. Leather seats, rear spoilers, splitter, exhaust, cam cover etc
Brabus 454, 1.1 pulse, 1.3 passion

CarreraLightweightRacing

• Espana
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »

Thank you all so much for the valuable information. Great to see there are so many clued up members here. To answer a few questions:

I'm not really interested in power for this car as I have a few other cars that cover those bases:

For this reason the Brabus Turbo isn't what I'm looking for, namely due to the sound turbo cars make vs NA.

I'm not sure if this variant was ever produced for the UK market so that may be causing a little confusion. It is a limited edition Brabus version with an SB3 engine. I believe there were only 109 of these made and only a total of 500 the SB3 engined cars. On a side note, I nearly bought a very rare model a few months back, it was a 1 of 5 (Hugo Boss Edition). Something like 1 in France, 2 in Spain and 2 in Germany from memory.

Here are pictures from the rear and inside:

I'm going in blind with this car as I'll be flying into Germany from Spain to collect it and will drive it back the 2000km, hence me wondering what I should be looking out for. I don't want any hidden surprises and by the sounds of the responses here, even in the worse case scenario (both the PAS motor and axle bushes faulty), that wouldn't be a show stopper. I'm also guessing, as the car is pretty light, just removing the PAS motor in entirety is an option?

Also as I have to drive it so far, what economy is likely to be expected and the fuel tank size. I guess they are all the same size tank?

Once again many thanks for all your input and ideas ;)

jmariog

• North London
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 06:35:03 PM »

On a very long trip my standard 1.5 was doing 48 mpg ,that was in France at 130 kph .
Cooper mini moke 0 to 40 5seconds 40 up weeks
BMW CSLi 'bat mobile', Alpine A310 v6,
Marcos Mantis 1976 v6, 454 Passion 1.5 AMT,
454 Passion 1.1, 454 Brabus

Ocracoke

• The Wirral - OHai! Om nom nom...
    • WirralSmarts
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 07:13:34 PM »

Hey, love the colour on the car, mine was also a Starlight combo until I wrapped it.

I'm not sure if this variant was ever produced for the UK market so that may be causing a little confusion. It is a limited edition Brabus version with an SB3 engine. I believe there were only 109 of these made and only a total of 500 the SB3 engined cars. On a side note, I nearly bought a very rare model a few months back, it was a 1 of 5 (Hugo Boss Edition). Something like 1 in France, 2 in Spain and 2 in Germany from memory.

The SB3 did make it to the UK but in very, very small numbers. mr. singh has one as mentioned previously though his is a white over silver. The SB3 in Starlight probably doesn't exist in the UK.

Also as I have to drive it so far, what economy is likely to be expected and the fuel tank size. I guess they are all the same size tank?

All petrol cars I think have the same size tank (50L from memory) but I can get an indiciated 50ish MPG from my 1.3 if I drive it normally on the motorway. Of course, as you mention, the howl of a NA at higher RPMs can be addictive :P I would also get yours on a dyno once you have it - mine came up with a significantly higher figure than stock (114.2bhp vs the stock 95bhp) so it'd be interesting to see where yours would be.

I'm going in blind with this car as I'll be flying into Germany from Spain to collect it and will drive it back the 2000km, hence me wondering what I should be looking out for. I don't want any hidden surprises and by the sounds of the responses here, even in the worse case scenario (both the PAS motor and axle bushes faulty), that wouldn't be a show stopper. I'm also guessing, as the car is pretty light, just removing the PAS motor in entirety is an option?

The car is indeed light at just under one tonne but I wouldn't go without PAS. The racing Brabus CrazyG has/had worked with did try without PAS but it was heavy and from memory, I think they stuck with it. As mentioned before, the axle bushing are a pain but it is not insurmountable (mine needs doing I am sure).

I also note the Brabus logo on the steering wheel. I don't think the steering wheel ever came with that on it (least not when I've looked in the electronic catalogue) so could be a stick on?

2004 ForFour 1.3 AMT - The yellow 454!

http://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5224.0 - The WirralSmarts mod/upgrade thread

1x 454 1.3 S-A, 1x 450 RHD mk5, 1x 450 mk5 CDI

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 07:24:26 AM »

Fuel capacity 47 litres
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 11:22:12 AM »

:o Do not attempt to drive it with the power steering motor removed...ever !

The racing Brabus I was involved with was tried without the motor, and the
steering ratio of the rack rendered the steering 95% immovable once the
motor was removed (I tried it !).  Yes it did 'free up' once at speed, but Rob
(the owner of the car and S2Smarts) declared it was totally undriveable, so
for 2 seasons it ran with the standard EPAS.  Later; when the car was reshelled;
and as part of a lot of mods, the complete rack was removed and replaced with
an aftermarket race spec electric variable ration power steering rack. However,
this was a necessity as the original loom was replaced with a loom (made by Rob)
as the car was now running a 'standalone' ECU and control system.  The new rack
involved a lot of chopping of the original steering column and modified mountings
made to the subframe as well...to be expected when it's a race car.

For a road car, Colts (2004-2012) are readily available in breakers, so if you did
have an EPAS issue it would be best to buy a s/hand rack and swop the motors.

I do have to correct you though, when you say it is a Brabus with an SB3 engine.
ALL of the SB3's were based on a non-Brabus 454 (usually the 1.5 Passion),
and the modifications to 'create' each specific SB3 were carried out; not at the factory;
but 'in house' at the main MB Dealer of the country it was ordered from.
Each SB3 is individual; although it's possible that 2 or more could be spec'd the same;
and the spec could include any of the many options that were available on the 454...
such as a choice of the MF steering wheel, the leather interior, centre armrest, the lounge
cushions, 'lounge' fully reclining option for the front seats, Brabus wheels, a selection
of/from the Brabus bodykit parts, Brabus twin exit rear silencer and so on.
However, it was never possible to specify with full Brabus suspension !
Springs and/or shockabsorbers yes, but it is not possible to have the front anti-roll
bar as the driveshaft on the RHD front offside (or the LHD nearside) does not clear it.

The SB3 is indeed a very rare beast....and as said, the particular SB3 you are indeed
interested in has the very rare Starlight colour combo.
Looking at these latest pictures one can see it has the twin exit Brabus backbox, but
it is also evident that the rear end of the car is otherwise totally standard 454 as it
has a standard fit non-Brabus roof spoiler and no Brabus lower valance splitter.
The gearknob by the way is also not the normal version as fitted to a Brabus, as
that is a round metal type with 3/4 leather covering.

It's still a 454 that I wouldn't mind owning if I were younger in years.  :)   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:23:38 AM by CrazyG »

CarreraLightweightRacing

• Espana
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 05:28:35 PM »

Thanks for the info CrazyG. Hopefully the EPAS system in this one is fine. My bad, I read of a 500 factory production run with the SB3 engine that were produced even before the launch of the Turbo variant. If you can read German, here is the article I briefly skimmed over. It mentions a limited run of factory built cars launched at the Paris motorshow back in 2005:

https://www.autosieger.de/smart-forfour-edition-sportstyle-article3127.html

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 08:30:07 PM »

welcome to a 'VERY EXCLUSIVE' club

i know of about 2 other SB3 owners, both are in italy and 1 who i am in contact with on facebook.

it makes me laugh that brabus owners say that they have a rare car, but they are common compared to how many SB3s are out there.

as far as im aware the SB3 kit was a dealer fit option. the car could be spec'ed with the body kit and brabus exhaust, but the dealer stripped the head and fitted the cams and valve springs. i do recall seeing somewhere some dealer information and it stated that it was a dealer fit... and that in the warrany history of my SB3, the head was removed for an oil leak. im assuming something failed some miles after the kit was installed.

the ONLY diffrence between the SB3 and the regular 454 is the engine. it has uprated cams, uprated valve springs and possibly an engine map, although i am unable to confirm that as uprated cams will bump up the power. EVERYTHING else is mechanically the same, even the clutch is the same as the 1.3/1.5.

as for removing the PAS motor, as Crazy G has mentioned, i would STRONGLY advise against it. i have had the steering rack replaced on my SB3 twice. the 1st replacement failed and is currently sat in the shed, and the replacement replacement rack came off a colt with (at the time) 150k miles and i cleaned up the motor brushes and its been ok for about 2/2.5 (possibly 3) years now.

the rear beam bushes, there are poly bushes available from power flex (cheaper 1 piece bushes), which i have fitted to mine and super pro ('expensive' and 2 piece). the reason i opted for the power flex ones was because they were a 'DIY' fit. they were most certainly NOT a DIY fit. my mate and his boss ended up fitting them to a spare beam i bought and even they said that its not a DIY job and its not a job they want to ever do again. the super pro is supposedly easier to fit. personally had i have to choose again, i would opt for the super pro bushes.
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 12:15:50 PM »

Confirmation...the SuperPro rear axle bushes ARE a far far easier fit.
I helped Rob (of S2Smarts) fit the first set to a 454 many moons ago.
It was a steep learning curve at the time..and took nigh on 5hrs.
But now...he is capable of fitting them (to a spare axle) in 30-60 mins !
I have helped Rob convert 4 axles so far to SuperPro...my Brab, my
daughters 1.3 and my ex wife's 1.3 as well. (It's good to keep my hand in)

Why a spare axle...easier to prepare in advance of removing the old axle.
No spare bare axle, then removing/converting/refitting the old axle as one job
from start to finish takes about 2.5 to 3hrs...if you have the skill/the experience
and all the right equipment (such as a hoist and a 2 gearbox jacks).  If not and
you are relying on axle stands and trolley jacks, then I would say double that. 

I think I covered the 'job' in a Technical Guide on here. (I'm almost 100% sure)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 12:22:38 PM by CrazyG »