forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Don't you hate when somebody "fixes" your car and does whack job...  (Read 6295 times)

FireFlower

• Enjoy motorsports & grill some sausages - Finland

So my latest encounter with whacky jobs... Oil change, filter and spark plugs, nothing else has to do... Plugs were Changed about 65tkm ago but converted my car to run ethanol and it has problems startings, also I got OBD code for missfire on cylinder 3. So I thought spark plugs must be going bad. So because spark plugs changing is not hard to do I decided to it this time myself.

So I took my ratched and socket set, should have spark plug sockets from 14mm to 21mm in 1mm increments. Bought some denso spark plugs that are correct match for my car, tried my socket on them and darn. 17mm is too big, 16mm is too short. So back to the store and buy a bit longer 16mm spark plug socket, bought a fancy one with magnet. Perfect fit.

Now to unbolt old ones... 1st: SUPER TIGHT! Was even more tight than my wheel nuts, what the heck?
2nd: SUPER TIGHT AGAIN!
3rd: Err... this just spins freely? Was it not tightened down? Couple minutes unbolting and spark plug didn't come out, it just spins freely... Odd...
4th: Well this was as tight as I would expect it to be.

Now because I cannot directly to see into spark plug hole because my head cannot fit between the engine and engine compartment ceiling so I took a photo to see what heck is going on in the 3rd spark plug hole.

Sides are rusty which is odd, then tip of the spark plug is rusty, then I look the nut... IT IS ROUNDED!  :-\

So guys must have used 17mm spark plug socket and used some gorilla powers when tightening it and f#@ked up the spark plug and decided to shut up about it. Now I am talking with the owner where this was done and he seems to reluctant to fix the issue his employees have caused.

As bonus here is 3rd spark plug coil pack

-----------------------------

I didn't tell him before hand but I noticed after 25tkm when the plugs had been changed car started to idle oddly and looked under the bonnet and saw coil packs were loose and two bolts were missing! So I bolted the two remaining ones down and took new bolts from drawer and that fixed issue... Wasn't happy but didn't seem like there was any damage, just two bolts were missing from coil packs but sloppy work indeed.

Employee must have sh*t himself at 3rd spark plug and decided remaining bolts should be "not so tight".  :)

Previously at different shops:
- Front wheel hubs, 2 hour job went into 8 hour job because whacky shops didn't have the right tool even though I asked if they had it. Next time I will ask for a picture of that tool existing in their shop if I ever make it so far to need both ones replaced again...
- Hand brake is not releasing, they changed the cables, wasn't the issue, cables were perfectly fine, the brake caliber in other hand was coming to its end and leaked eventually. Internal rusting
- Register plate lights are hard! Seriously they changed the bulb and didn't even twist the bulb holder back into the fixture, in the end light bulb burned down when the fixture got filled with road dust.
- Wheel alignment: The backside alignment a bit to left on both wheels, oh really?, they cannot be adjusted, the front wheels were adjusted to counter that. Went to different shop, they set up to do wheel alignment, back wheels perfectly straight, readjusted front wheels to correct so the car wouldn't constantly try drive me into oncoming lane.
- You got locked out of car, cable on the driver side snapped off from the handle, the battery is dead, replace the battery when you ninja open the bonnet from underside the car, central locking doesn't work at all, not from keys or turning the lock to open other doors. Got towed to local Mercedes Benz dealer repairshop... Alright: You need a new battery ground cable because new battery has smaller nut, that will be 50€, your central locking radio unit was fried, we changed that, we ordered a 2nd key for you like you asked because both keys have to reprogrammed anyway, oh btw we bent your driver side door with forced entry so it doesn't close anymore to form perfect seal  :-\, and all of that comes total of 800€... Alright, I take the car home, inspect the battery, the cable is same, they just added a bit longer bolt so they can tighten the clamp more... Also I was charged for keys reprogramming twice. So have to be careful what they try charge from you, I got reimbursed for the cable and 2nd key reprogramming but lately I have been thinking did they even change the radio. Because to my understanding it is way hidden underneath the radio and didn't seem they dissembled the interior at all, blown fuse?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:36:42 AM by FireFlower »
ForFour Passion (manual) 1330cm3 RON95/E85 2006, no factory extras

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
Re: Don't you hate when somebody "fixes" your car and does whack job...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 01:10:06 PM »

Oh dear, that is a tale of woes! I’m sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Nightmare. So it’s not the car, just shoddy work. I guess that if you can find a really reliable independent who not only understands the cars but actually takes pride in doing a proper job, whilst also charging a reasonable amount then they are gold dust. I’m fortunate that I have two such places near to me. No consolation to you though I know.  :-X
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

FireFlower

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »

Heh, the owner said they fill fix the car free of charge when they get spark plug extractor tool set. They had to order it from USA because nobody seemed to carry long ones in their inventory.

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »

So by their own admission that they are going to fix it for free
they have admitted liability for thier poor workmanship.
Good to hear you have a result.....just check out that
all and everything is done....and done properly...with no
botch ups like the previous visits.
Take pictures and posts of everything...perhaps even be there
and watch over them when they remove the broken spark
plug....just in case they damage the cylinder head and it has
then to be repaired.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 06:01:51 PM »

goddamned cowboys
yeeeee hawwwww

Fortunately I have a trustworthy guy to do these kind of works, but one of the reasons I take so much time to diagnose things myself, is so I can tell if I'm being bullsh***ed.

Hope they do it right this time for you....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:03:39 PM by El Tel »
LHD 2004 Pulse 1.1l (VVT). Black on black - 100,000 km

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »

At least they are gonna fix it

A plug change and an oil change is soooooo easy

DIY - I did a guide

JJ

FireFlower

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »

Haha true enough! Part of the reason why I started doing things myself. Anyway the owner called me to say they expect the toolset to arrive around middle of September.