forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gotta make them last!  (Read 15943 times)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: Gotta make them last!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 01:19:23 PM »

I’d defo convert the Brabus to electric

We’ve been fighting for years to get more that 220bhp reliably and EV would make the car soooooo fast

JJ

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 12:19:19 PM »

I read a very interesting article on upcoming battery tech (really belongs on the EV thread but unfortunately that was locked....) however, since we are mentioning battery conversions, its on topic here:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times
LHD 2004 Pulse 1.1l (VVT). Black on black - 100,000 km

Bari87

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »

We’ve been fighting for years to get more that 220bhp reliably and EV would make the car soooooo fast

Why that? Its not so difficult to get more power from a turbocharged engine. But of course you get to the point where stock internals are going to end. But i run more then 220HP even with stock internal / stock turbo. Next step of course forged engine and hybrid turbo.

As for the EV sh*t, dont forget:
- HP makes a car on straight line faster, weight makes it everywhere faster and EV ist weight
- FullPull on EV is going always to end with temperature end. See the famous Nürnburgring run from Porsche Tacan where it gets overheated and then no power anymore. Its common on all Cars with EV

Never ever would gain that amount of weight on a light car which is the main benefit on the Smart.

Best regards
Bari

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 09:21:25 AM »

And exactly how would one control all the torque from a powerful EV simple installation in a 454? It's difficult enough with a tuned turbo ICE to get the power down off the line, and to power the car out of a tight slow corner.
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

Bari87

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »

Sure a point too, but not so grave.

First of all: Even me dont have problems with traction, cause many depends on mechanical traction through suspension, suspension settings, tyres and differential. When i compare the stock crap brabus suspension then it is a big difference of traction to a good full adjustable suspension.

If you push the car (me not cause only city driver), then of course SemiSlicks like Federal 595 is on your bucket list. With stock turbo / stock engine internals and as a said a good fully adjustable suspension you will not be able to have traction loss.

Old SingleTurboCharger dont have linear response. We all know what it does when turbo kicks in (not like vtec kicked in :P).

On EV you have linear responsiveness and you can programm it like you want. Low torque on low kmh - FullPull at higher values, combination with traction control etc. That isnt a problem / much better to avoid or solve then with a old turbocharger which everything depends on mechanical traction.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:20:29 AM by Bari87 »

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »

And exactly how would one control all the torque from a powerful EV simple installation in a 454? It's difficult enough with a tuned turbo ICE to get the power down off the line, and to power the car out of a tight slow corner.

I have no experience or special knowledge of this at all, but I have seen EV conversions using the original gearbox, and torque etc can all be electronically limited so as not to blow the cogs out of your converted car.

I am absolutely totally 100% certain there is a good answer to your question, given that EV conversions are a growing business and no doubt there are, and will be, more and more turnkey solutions for this kind of thing.

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 12:05:22 AM »

With an EV motor maximum torque is at lock, hence the anticipated problem of torque steer being exaggarated on the 454.Ok, easy to modulate an EV with a gentle right foot but then the acceleration away from rest will be disappointing. And incidentally the Federal 595 are no longer  ???by any means the best tyre for AutoX and road use.
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »

coverman, you do realise that the accelerator pedal isnt an on off switch on an EV?! you could class it as a variable resistor, as in the more you press it, the more electricity will flow to the motor(s)
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 01:07:59 AM »

One has to overcome the maximum torque at lock problem for EVs however one depresses the accelerator, not an issue with an ICE but still even  a standard Brabus suffers from torque steer unless gently pedalled away from the line.Considering that the maximum performance advantage of an EV is in low speed acceleration the entire drive line & suspension of a 454 should be  redesigned to cope with EV propulsion and weight distribution change: a big task to add to the definitely not simple integrating of the motor and battery control with the existing canbus electronics.Much simpler to buy an existing electric car, and cheaper too unless one values one's time at pence per hour.
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »

Guys who build race cars for fun rather than profit might go so far.

The acceleration curve could be electronically limited to smoothly accelerate to around the edge of what the transmission can take. As we know from G's posts about the S2 race car, even cryogenically hardened drive shafts can break under too much torque.

I agree that the mind blowing torque of which electric motors are capable is best put through the rear wheels, or all 4 wheels. Torque steer like that is presumably dangerous. Perhaps the 454 (or any front wheel drive) isn't the best candidate for 'performance' EV conversion.

However I still reckon it could be done. Either as a super efficient town car, limited to prevent issues with torque steer or breaking cogs, or with a complete drivetrain replacement - But in the latter case it's definitely for fun, not for profit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:30:49 AM by El Tel »

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »

The Renault Zoe amongst others already exists to fulfill the need for an electric city car. Why reinvent the wheel?
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 04:02:27 PM »

True, but some people just do. By that standard, the Teslonda is a pointless car, why not just buy a Tesla?

Coverman

• Leeds
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 09:37:07 PM »

Indeed
454 Brabus & 1.3AMT

snookey

• Moray
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2021, 03:12:43 AM »

By that standard, the Teslonda is a pointless car, why not just buy a Tesla?

Because you could buy a Honda.
2006 forfour Brabus

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2021, 10:49:09 AM »

Solid state batteries will increase charge capacity and reduce charge times dramatically.

The average journey in a car is well within the range of even a small EV

sometimes I need to move house but I don’t buy a car that is capable of that
Sometimes I do a track day but I don’t buy a car that is capable of that as well.

When we moved from horses to cars I know the same arguments would have come up then

I agree with you mr Singh - the throttle is your friend for controlling torque :)

If I could convert my Brabus to even have 100miles range I’d love that.

Unfortunately the chassis of the ForFour doesn’t allow much scope for things.

Direct drive wheels could be the biggest step for EV conversions

I’m pretty sure the new UPS vans have the motors on 4 corners allowing a nice flat low load bay

JJ
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:22:41 PM by CrazyG »
Pages: 1 [2] 3