forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Software updates and diagnostics  (Read 9060 times)

basilbrush

Software updates and diagnostics
« on: June 08, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »

I have the 1.3 Softouch and the software updates to the gearbox should have been done. I am still however getting the occasional failure to select reverse when the engine is cold. I've checked up on the diagnostic printouts for the last six years and the only software update I can see is to the ESP control module.
Has anybody on here with a 1.3 Softouch had the gearbox software updates done? Also which module is actually the one that controls the gearbox?

bb
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:50:14 PM by basilbrush »

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
Re: Software updates and diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »

I have had my gearbox 'remapped' at the last service, not sure which module but I believe the gearbox has it's own ECU. My car is in from Saturday for her B service so I can find out then but I reckon Kate (lil.smartie) will have the answer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:21:08 PM by CrazyG »
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

basilbrush

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »

Thanks for that would appreciate more info. Last year they had my car for a full day and changed the brake switch and gearbox speed sensor, but once the car was warm they couldn't replicate the "fault". They also said they'd done the software updates. I've not long had this years B service myself and asked for another printout. The only software version on the printout that shows any change is the ESP module as I said. I really would like to know what's going on here. For the first year I had the car there was no problem at all and then it just started not selecting R from neutral. Lately it has also failed a couple of times to select A first time and shown 0.

Just an update. I went out in the car this morning (wednesday) and everything was perfect. Selection of reverse straight in so I thought I'd do a bit of experimenting. Backwards and forwards in a side road and no sign of the dreaded 0. Now this morning was mild and dry so maybe ambient temperature and damp play a part.
I've found an interesting pdf which may be of interest to other Softouch owners. It refers to BST or brake shift technology which is aimed at improving the drivability of AMT cars. I found it fascinating and it shows that the Softouch gearbox although highly technical was still underdeveloped. It's based on the Colt, but as we all know it's the same gearbox as the Forfour.
Anyway here is the link

http://alexandria.tue.nl/repository/books/626952.pdf

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:29:45 PM by basilbrush »

kog

• East Sussex
    • Project2222
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:36:40 AM »

I also have the 1.3 Softouch and had the gearbox software update done at the last service in December, and the only difference I noticed was that it now defaults to manual mode rather than auto.

Mine rarely fails to go into R, but sometimes when it does there is barely any power, like the clutch is slipping, but a shift back into N, and then R again usually solves it!

basilbrush

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »

Mine has always defaulted to manual. According to the handbook the 1.3 defaults to manual and the 1.5 defaults to auto.
I also have to go back and forth into N or forward drive and back to R sometimes. To me it's a minor irritation I can overcome, but to Mrs Brush it's a major cause of panic  ::)

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »

The only times I have ever got a '0' is not having my foot on the brake properly. It could be beacuse I shift quickly between '1' and 'R' (and vice versa).

I only did the software update at the last service to see if it made a difference and it did. Completely changed how the gearbox worked, TBH I nearly crashed into the back of someone because 3rd gear became very potent. i have stated before that cruising at 30mph used 5th and after the update it cruises in 4th, 6th (I know its an overdrive) has more pull in it.
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

MinhPT

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »

How can I get software update from internet? How can I check if my 4-4 had updated software?

Thanks,
M

basilbrush

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »

It doesn't work like that. Software updates are done via the Star diagnostics at the main dealer or by an independent garage that has the Star equipment.
The Mercedes Star diagnostics itself is also itself updated at regular intervals too by the manufacturers. I think the only way you can check is to get a quick diagnostic check done at a main dealer to get a printout. Somebody on another forum said they had the gearbox software updates done by getting the MEG and SAM units updated by Smart.
I have all the printouts from my service history and the software versions on both have remained the same. I'm starting to think now that mine has never been updated because nothing has changed despite being told by my independent that updates have been done.
For information I have 1.3 softouch 2004. Software version for MEG is 28.2004 and for SAM is 21.2004 and if anyone with same car would check and see what their version is I would be grateful.

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »

basilbrush is 100% correct in his advice that software updates are preformed on the Star machines onloy.

From the few ForFours (with semi-auto gearbox) that I have seen at a local 'indie' I can confirm that many are not
running around with the 'latest' software updates....and few owners ask for it to be updated as they appear quite happy
with the car as it is.  It is always recommended that the software be updated....after all, the updates are done because
it was found necessary to resolve a potential issue that could or would arise.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]