forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1.1 Pulse 180KPH factory limit  (Read 7521 times)

mrmagoo

1.1 Pulse 180KPH factory limit
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »

Your car is factory limited to 180KPH!!, they say.
I'll go check it out!!, i say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDp1-TvwFcw&feature=plcp

We told you so!!, they say  :'(
Forfour 1.1 Pulse (year 2005)

Alex

• Romania
Re: 1.1 Pulse 180KPH factory limit
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:51:03 AM »

Yeah, the factory limits it to 180kph by giving it 75hp. It's amazing it even got up to that speed.

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:52 AM »

according to parker's the top speed of the 1.1 is 103mph, about 8mph short of what is ahown in the video.
id like to know what fuel was he using... and more importantly was he going down hill (or a good tail wind)?
i know in germany you can get racing fuel at the pumps and i have had 98mph out of my old city coupe when i filled it up with that fuel
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »

Well, as I understand most speedos over read by about 10%. So 180 kph - 10% = 162 kph or 100.6 mph... some 2mph short of the manufacturer stated max' speed.
 ;)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »

Sorry magoo - didn't realise it was your own vid but thanks for the reply on YouTube anyway ;)

The fortwo was like that - I would get to 85 and just stop.

JJ

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:53 AM »

I would like to know the AFR at full throttle, because I suspect it's a bit too rich for best power.

I took mine up to max speed this weekend as well, on a long, straight, and free of traffic stretch of road, and felt that it was accelerating slower at full throttle than at part throttle. Crazy? Yes, but I'm sure I felt it clearly. Flooring it and then backing off the throttle a bit gave it a bit more acceleration, instead of decelerating as expected when easing off the throttle.

I normally drive under or at the speed limit, but whenever I hit this road I floor it just to check if it's still running strong. Up to 170kph it accelerates pretty well, after that it slows down and from 180 on you have to be patient to gain any speed. I didn't insist on driving over 160 for too long, because I had only 2.0 bar in the tires, and there were 37C outside, and i didn't want to risk overheating the tires or the engine..I lost a bit of coolant when i cleaned my TVA on Saturday and didn't top up the radiator..plus I'm using 5w30 oil which is a bit too thin for this massive heat wave that he had all summer.

But there is definitely no set speed limiter,  it is just limited naturally by it's power and drag coefficient.

mrmagoo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

according to parker's the top speed of the 1.1 is 103mph, about 8mph short of what is ahown in the video.
id like to know what fuel was he using... and more importantly was he going down hill (or a good tail wind)?
i know in germany you can get racing fuel at the pumps and i have had 98mph out of my old city coupe when i filled it up with that fuel
I was using petrol 95octanes (normal, not racing fuel). i was on a long flat straight road. not much wind on that area, specialy in the summer! but when it does get windy, it gives wind tail on that direction.

Well, as I understand most speedos over read by about 10%. So 180 kph - 10% = 162 kph or 100.6 mph... some 2mph short of the manufacturer stated max' speed.
 ;)
Oh really? didnt know that  :P

Sorry magoo - didn't realise it was your own vid but thanks for the reply on YouTube anyway ;)

The fortwo was like that - I would get to 85 and just stop.

JJ
no prob  ;)

I would like to know the AFR at full throttle, because I suspect it's a bit too rich for best power.

I took mine up to max speed this weekend as well, on a long, straight, and free of traffic stretch of road, and felt that it was accelerating slower at full throttle than at part throttle. Crazy? Yes, but I'm sure I felt it clearly. Flooring it and then backing off the throttle a bit gave it a bit more acceleration, instead of decelerating as expected when easing off the throttle.

I normally drive under or at the speed limit, but whenever I hit this road I floor it just to check if it's still running strong. Up to 170kph it accelerates pretty well, after that it slows down and from 180 on you have to be patient to gain any speed. I didn't insist on driving over 160 for too long, because I had only 2.0 bar in the tires, and there were 37C outside, and i didn't want to risk overheating the tires or the engine..I lost a bit of coolant when i cleaned my TVA on Saturday and didn't top up the radiator..plus I'm using 5w30 oil which is a bit too thin for this massive heat wave that he had all summer.

But there is definitely no set speed limiter,  it is just limited naturally by it's power and drag coefficient.
??? AFR ?  ???
what is that? ;D
Forfour 1.1 Pulse (year 2005)

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

Air to fuel ratios. I fear the ECU excessively enriches the mixture to provide a safe combustion at full throttle, because to me the car felt like it was accelerating stronger when backing off a little form full throttle (say 80-90% throttle).