forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Smart Festival 2012  (Read 44922 times)

LadyV

The Smart Festival 2012
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »

Ok guys, Al has announced that this years festival will be on the 6th of October.

This is the same time as the Ace Cafe Smart meet. I've asked Al if I should contact Ace to change the date as I don't think it's fair on Ace who make our Smart meets there a success. They will lose business on this date if it isn't changed.
I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime the registration will take place soon and for all information please go to: www.thesmartfestival.com or follow them on twitter: @Smartfestival
There is also a Facebook page: Smart Festival 2012

Hope to see you all there!!!

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: The Smart Festival 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »

Excellent V - thank you :)

I am in Cyprus until the Tuesday that week so I will have to see how things go.....

JJ

LadyV

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »

No worries, hope you can make it  8)

LadyV

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »

Just bern in touch with Al, unfortunately this was really the only date that could be booked for the Smart Festival.

I have contacted Ace who advised me to email them as their event managers don't work weekends. When I receive a response I shall let you know if the meet can be changed. I know that their schedule is pretty full.

I'd hate to have Ace lose business as they have allowed us to have meets there for a number of years now...

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:32:28 PM »

Well you know what.....??
I think that date will be one of the worst decision's that has been made for the Fest.
Why was the date not 'pencilled in' for September 8th or 9th 2012 right after the last
Festival ?

Maybe someone will ask Al that question.....and explain why October is so wrong.

That date in September (incl the weekend when it was normally held) fell
just at the end of the school summer holidays...just before the kids went back.
That meant :-
1/ that it was ideal for Smart owners with families as they could take them with them
    and not have any worries about homework/late nights etc.
2/ long journeys were also not a problem as the roads would be lighter with traffic
    on the school holiday period.
    And we all know that lot's of peops travel long distances to this function, so that
    factor alone was a godsend.
3/ in September as it was, and with the traffic easier, it wasnt a pain/strain to drive
    to it in the easy traffic....short or long journey. But in October...after a week of
    driving back n forth to work...gruelling journeys...then to have to drive another
    run in 'heavy' non school holiday traffic....with no lie in....Nah ! Forget it....
    Maybe next year...if it's in the school holiday time...say the first weekend of
    September perhaps.

Over the last 4 years the attendance figures have steadily risen, but because of the
reasons I've given I have a feeling that this year the attendance figures will dip below
1,000 this year.

As an aside, and not that it really matters, it's also kyboshed my plans as well !
I'd already booked off the weekend of 8/9 Sep in advance, assuming it would be
around the same date as it always has been...but now it's October I seriously doubt
that I will be able to get the time off !
(Don't all cheer...... :'( )
 I'm rostered for a 6am-6pm and no one wants to swop or cover those.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:47:34 PM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »

Damn shifts.  I can only get out of one if I swap.  Except I'm the only one left after everyone got laid off or moved to central london locations... so no-one to swap with!

If I'm off, I'll come along to one or the other.  Depends where you're all going.

------

LadyV

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »

I'm lucky that this is my first day off but I agree with CrazyG's points. I also imagine it will start getting a bit colder as the last Ace meet in October was chilly.

Unfortunately with Smart Times 12 and everything that has been going on this year, it does appear that it was once again left a bit too late.
I can't imagine how many people have said to the organisers that they work shifts which includes weekends etc and they need a date to see if they are scheduled to work. Usually we get a date in early May.

I think that this will hit Ace really hard, which is why I've contacted them. I'd rather a Smart meet there was cancelled than leaving it to find that no one shows up due to the Smart Festival. If that happened my feeling is that they wouldn't allow us to have further meets! Ace have been very good to us and I'd hate to upset them.

I do hope that everyone can make it anyways.... If there are any questions I'm sure I can raise them with Al but he did say that this was the only date that Mercedes had left....

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »

Why is it that it can't be booked in for the 3rd weekend (or last weekend) of sept every year?

To counter what G has said a bit, people may be away during the summer holidays, but no one goes away right after so I don't think I will impact on numbers too much :)

(although I go away after the holls as it makes my flights to Cyprus over 25% cheaper)

JJ

J500ANT

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »

The date has been set by smart UK and Mercedes Benz World, sadly thesmartclub had no influence on when it's being held :( I haven't been told why it's later this year but i'm sure it'll be a great event regardless!

I understand Richard Green, who has been organising the Ace Cafe meets, is aware of the clash - maybe some will go to the Ace Cafe for breakfast and then off to Brooklands.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:11:44 AM by J500ANT »

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »

Anyway - important point........

Are we having a combined meet in the park before we set off to brooklands so we can convoy it ??

JJ

LadyV

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

I'm not sure if the breakfast at the Ace would work- it's very far out of the way for a lot of people and the thought of negotiating London is enough to put people off. Not to mention Ace would have to ensure that the car park is clear for people to park for breakfast when their meets usually start at 11:00am.
I for one will be at work until 20:00 on the Friday and will need to get back to my Dad's house in South London for the festival as its a much shorter distance than from my home in Luton. I therefore couldn't drive back up to Ace and then down again for the festival.

Regarding the convoy- as always I like to be at Smart of Croydon in the morning to have a bit of breakfast, catch up with people, collect a goody bag and then be on my way (usually just our car as the convoy from Croydon is too slow for my liking!). I will contact Croydon to see when they plan to open to allow people to come in for breakfast and let everyone know if we can make the planned ForFour convoy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:50:27 AM by LadyV »

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »

The date has been set by smart UK and Mercedes Benz World, sadly thesmartclub had no influence on when it's being held ....
I have a feeling that the wee problem with the slight clash of events last year has
made MBW stamp their foot down and decide the 8th/9th Sept date is to be for the
'young F1 drivers test' event.  So Smart UK then had to take whatever 'non-scheduled'
time and dates that were still available to book.

But I am really really surprised that no one consulted with TheSmartClub, considering
the sheer numbers of Smart owners who are members.
I've a theory about 'Destination Smart'...but I won't enter into and ramble on about
that on here.

.....i'm sure it'll be a great event regardless!

I do hope so...for those that do manage to go.

.......I understand Richard Green, who has been organising the Ace Cafe meets,
is aware of the clash........
Amazing how everyone else seems to hear and know of these things before anyone
else does !  But yeah, I do hope this doesn't jeopardize future Smart meets there.
Perhaps next years late Summer meet can be rescheduled from Oct to the first
weekend in September. (funny that, eh?  swap dates with the Festival).
And the Ace is a nice small and friendly meet. Would hate to see that disappear.

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »

It almost confirms the 'MB don't give two hoots about smart' idea. It really is as if they want us to go away.

Not happy, think it's ridiculous. Also think its funny they have put up stuff in their newly designed 'smart area' of MBWorld saying 'we hope we can see you at smart festival 2012' where they show videos of last year's fest but no date at all.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

Big Dunc

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »

Date Noted.

Agree with a lot of has been posted.

G: I will watch here to see if you are likely to attend : Maybe a pm nearer the time?

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »

I've an idea...
Why not have a ForFour ONLY meet at the Ace Café on October 6th ?

That would mean there would be a SmartFestival with no ForFour's !
(There would be bound to be the odd one or 2 that might turn up that aren't members
 on here or on FFO ! The no-brainers.... )
And if we did that, we could splash it all across Facebook etc, and any/all the other
Smart Forums (even DestinationSmart) to show our indignation at the change MBW
and Smart UK have made to the proven past formula of the event.

Oh ok....I'm being silly and a right wotsit.....  >:(     
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6