forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thinking of moving my cdi on  (Read 6453 times)

Mull

• Hypno4health
Thinking of moving my cdi on
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »

As a few of you may know my other half has been struggling to love her 44 cdi and is thinking of swapping back to a 1.1 petrol as this is what she had before.
A few questions / queries.
1) I assume that like for like spec the cdi is worth more than the petrol?
2) Our passion has a decent spec and 67k miles on an 06 what doe you think it would be worth. I am curious as I have seen them for sale in the general region of £4k.
3) Do you think there is any mileage in approaching a dealer and looking for a trade with cash coming my way against a petrol?
 Point 3 would minimise my hassle and time without a car.

Cheers and merry christmas.

Karl

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
Re: Thinking of moving my cdi on
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

TBH there are quite a few 1.1 owners who would gladly 'trade up' to a CDi, given the chance.
How about seeing if anyone is interested, and then you can pick n choose amongst them, or
if nothing takes your fancy, go to a dealer.
However, I would think any dealer with a 1.1 would not be an MB/Smart one....and you may
well not get such a good deal. They will be looking to buy cheap and sell at a profit, so be
prepared to haggle. You should defo be able to get a similar age 1.1 Passion or younger.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:05 AM »

Why is she struggling?

The car has more torque and more power so should be easier!

But knowing a few females who have found themselves in a diesel, they also struggled but it's all about driving technique and not changing gear so soon (like they do in a petrol)

Maybe some pointers would help :)

JJ

Mull

• Hypno4health
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »

Thanks G after Christmas I will put it up for swap / exchange on here and the other forums.

JJ, she is used to driving diesels as our main car / company cars are always diesels and she had no problem with them.
I think it comes down to NVH, which isn't great in the forfour and can at times make the cars sound quite harsh and frantic. She also does very low mileage and this is set to drop to about 3000 per annum next year, we / she doesn't get the benefit from a diesel on the very short trips that she does, I end up taking it on my daily commute a couple of times a week just to ensure that it gets a decent run. Add in that petrol is abou 10p a litre cheaper I think that she would be sighter finacially better off with a 1.1 (I have tried and failed to convince her to go Brabus)
The cdi is great if you are doing decent mileage, I easily get over 60mpg when I go on a run and I love the power delivery. Its just not for her.

Cheers Karl

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »

Almost as few miles as me ;)

Still can't afford the fuel for the BRAB though :( haha!

JJ