forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: squeaky fuel tank?  (Read 4582 times)

Ben99w

• Chelmsford
squeaky fuel tank?
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the best section for this, but it didn't really seem to fit anywhere else.

Anyway, I've been trying to locate squeaks that manifest over bumps and when applying throttle. Crawling around under the car with a pry bar all suspension and bushes seem fine, but I've found even the smallest amount of pressure applied to the underside of the fuel tank results in a loud squeak.

I loosened off the tank, checked the top with an endoscope and there's nothing for it to rub, but even hanging free, the tank still squeaks easily. I'd guess it's double skinned and that the two layers are rubbing against each other. Anyone else have this? Can anyone confirm the tank is double skinned? Looks like this is something I'm gonna have to live with (there's no sign of damage to the tank).

Ben

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: squeaky fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »

squirt grease on everything you can :)

you sure its not exhaust or sub frame??

JJ

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »

How about the fuel filler neck, the mounting on mine cracked, the pipe from the filler point to the fuel tank was loose.

Ben99w

• Chelmsford
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »

It's definitely the tank itself that's the source of the squeak. I've lessened it by packing the support strap with a dense foam to increase pressure on the bottom of the tank to take up some of the compressibility in the tank's structure IYSWIM. I've also identified another squeak in the exhaust which I've posted in the exhaust section.

Cheers

Ben