forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie looking for advice  (Read 10460 times)

Chrome101

Newbie looking for advice
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any buying guides for forfours about or if anyone can give me some advice when looking at one?

I'm currently looking for a new daily driver, something a bit different having been a classic driver for several years. I'm 23 with 0 ncb (named driver for 6 years) so probably looking at a 1.1

They look like fun little cars :)

Any buying advice / what to look for appreciated

Graham

Baggy

• xx Heart now pounding to a Forfour Brabus xx
Re: Newbie looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »

Hiya Graham ,
As for insurance, my 1.3 semi auto I used to have was cheaper than my 1.1 manual i have now to insure only by a little tho - so don't worry
about insurance too much, there wont be much difference  between those 2 ..
Things to look out for .... apart from usual service history as with any car, I don't think there would be much to be look for tbh .. the engines
are very strong and robust & the 1.1 I have is very nippy for its engine size, but if your doing a lot of motorway driving i'd prob go for a 1.3 .

There are lots of different specs to go for - Pure, Pulse, Passion, then the Purestyle & Coolstyle & Black editions ... some have aircon & disc brakes
all round as standard - some have drum brakes at the rear. Panoramic roof is standard on Passion, so when looking always check for what *extras*
you want and what you can find.  My Pulse has alloys, aircon, isofix, lounge concept folding front seats and upgraded Radio 6 ( double DIN with 7 speakers )
all as extras added on at time of purchase by origional owner  - oh yeah not all have speakers in the back doors, but if its got a double DIN
Radio 6 stereo it probably has .... some have have paddleshift, sun roofs, all leather etc...  So think what you'd like on your car first then start looking xx
Start looking at a Passion...top spec first probably, as now they are really affordable - then compare with a Pulse etc you never know what you might find.

xxx
I'm sure some more techy members will be able to give you more info & tips

Happy hunting !
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:09:19 PM by CrazyG »
xx Heart 'was' beating with a 454 Pulse xx
    Now it's really poundin' with a 454 Brab !

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »

Hello and welcome!

The cars are pretty tough (Mitsubishi mechanicals) so not much to worry about!

Have a look at this list...

http://forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=97.0

...it's a list of "quirks" and some (if not the only) faults these cars have !!

I personally would avoid the automated manual (auto) version just because it can cause hassle.  These sometimes came with flappy paddle shifts,
so if you like flappy paddle gearboxes then it may be for you !

Lots of colour combos and specs so hold on for the colour and spec you want is my advice !

Radio6 (double DIN one) usually has full 7 speaker package with it (tweeters in front door pillars and a subwoofer) and is worth looking for, but
apart from that just keep an eye out and pounce when you can !

Oh - and the low bhp diesel is probably the best option for low insurance but with the scope to get some real power out of at a later date ;)

JJ
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:11:55 PM by CrazyG »

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »

Hi ya Graham from another of the same name here on the Admin Team at ForFour.co.uk...........
I reckon all the advice you need has already been said by Baggy and Problemchild.
The only thing I can add is that the 1.1 loves to be thrashed (as mr singh will happily tell you),
and that there is not much to choose between the 1.3 and 1.5 (petrol).
The diesel is either 68hp or 95hp. the only difference is the map, so a 68 can be 'upped' to 95 with
a suitable remap. However...it can quite safely and happily be mapped up to 122hp if you want some
fun, or anything in between !
And finally.....the killer ForFour....the petrol Brabus ! 177bhp....
A specific weak point on these are the wheels....
The original wheels are soft and damage very very easily....
shame as they look so nice.
Oh, and finally....the rear shocks are a weak point (they are prone to leak) and should
be looked out for, though a pair of 'aftermarket' replacements can be had for £110.
(Details in another post you can find).

Good luck with your search for your perfect ForFour.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:18:55 PM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

Timelord Mitchturbo

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »

Hey nice to see you on here aswell ;)

Absolutely loads of options and good advice on choosing the right forfour for you,
The best thing you can do is find the right spec and package your looking for and test drive it!

I'm going to go against my friend JJ now and recommend the auto Softouch gear box instead of the manual transmission... Due to the fact that the Manual gear box has started to develop a little stiffness problem and could be a little niggle in the future... yes the Softouch does have one or two probs but once your used to how and when they happen you won't notice them. Mainly due to keeping your foot on the brake when selecting reverse.
Plus the Softouch is very fun, it comes equipped with a kick down (which drops one or two gears and feels like you've got NOS powering your forfour) very good for overtaking and drag racing.
It also comes with a sports start. Which I'm sure The Architect will tell you all about Hehe...
Another thing is you can overide the auto and drive it manually !

Of course the manual transmissions are good... but its all down to preference.

(And with kicking down I'm my Softouch, I've counted 8 seconds to get to 0-60 mph in my 1.3  while the manual is quoted with 10 seconds to get to 0-60mph...) ;)

Aim for a Passion but depending on the package the original owner bought for their forfour, a Pulse could quite be more equipped etc... you just have to look around and inspect each forfour intensely that you are interested in ;D Air con is a must in summer though, but not the end of the world if you find the one you want hasn't got it ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:47:01 PM by CrazyG »

Chrome101

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »

Fantastic advice and a really warm welcome folks, cheers

Really looking forward to take a look at a couple. I've always been a classic lover and dead against 'modern' daily drivers so the need to get something reliable really gave me the hump. Looked at Fiestas, Micras, expensive Aygos and all the rest. Non of them did anything for me. So glad i've found the Forfour which seems to have bucket loads of characters and a good following.

Im going to look at some 1.3s as i think my insurance can stretch but will be focusing on 1.1 

Question: How do you tell the difference between a 60bhp and 75bhp 1.1 ??

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »

Fantastic advice and a really warm welcome folks, cheers

Really looking forward to take a look at a couple. I've always been a classic lover and dead against 'modern' daily drivers so the need to get something reliable really gave me the hump. Looked at Fiestas, Micras, expensive Aygos and all the rest. Non of them did anything for me. So glad i've found the Forfour which seems to have bucket loads of characters and a good following.

Im going to look at some 1.3s as i think my insurance can stretch but will be focusing on 1.1 

Question: How do you tell the difference between a 60bhp and 75bhp 1.1 ??

The restricted 1.1 was on the Coolstyle and Purestyle, the later incarnation of the forfour that was more Coltesque and desgined to appeal to the bigger market.

I would aim on the 1.3 engine, its a good balance of power and economy. Insurance is pretty cheap on the car, Pure spec (very basic spec) will be the cheapest to insure with any engine. The Pulse carries a premium, although low insurance, because its the 'sporty' model and the Passion, cos it carries the top spec is the costly one to insure of the std forfours.

Heres a tip, if you're not fussed about toys then grab yourself a 68bhp CDi Pulse. If its running on steels, no air con and has the softouch gearbox you're looking at a very cheap car to tax.

Erm... yeah the sport start with the softouch... very fun but does cook the clutch. Basically raises the revs to around 5000rpm then dumps the clutch, very, very quick off from a standing start.
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

Chrome101

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:42:29 PM »

Erm... yeah the sport start with the softouch... very fun but does cook the clutch. Basically raises the revs to around 5000rpm then dumps the clutch, very, very quick off from a standing start.

Thats a good point you raise. Clutches. I've got about 3.5k burning a hole in my pocket so am looking at cars that have done 40-70,000 miles or there abouts. When do clutches start to go on manual cars and how costly are they to change?

Thanks for the help folks

Mull

• Hypno4health
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

Hi and welcome, I have only recently got myself back into a forfour and had a similar budget to you.

I picked up a Passion 95Cdi on an 06 plate with a few Extra's and FSH. 65000miles. Absolute corker of a car. It came in slightly under budget.

So if you exclude the Brabus then I think you have pretty much got your choice although dealers still seem to be asking silly money so if you can stay private and act quickly when one comes up.

Cheers

Karl

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »

Don't discount the cdi straight away ;)

JJ

basilbrush

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any buying guides for forfours about or if anyone can give me some advice when looking at one?

I'm currently looking for a new daily driver, something a bit different having been a classic driver for several years. I'm 23 with 0 ncb (named driver for 6 years) so probably looking at a 1.1

They look like fun little cars :)

Any buying advice / what to look for appreciated

Graham

Well you've certainly picked the best place for Forfour advice. As you can see everybody has different preferences for engines and gearboxes all with bucketloads of enthusiasm. I drove the 1.3 softouch semi-automatic for nearly five years and although it was quirky it was fantastically reliable and economical. I would say though if you're a manual devotee go for a manual, the softouch is for people that prefer automatics plain and simple.
Sadly my Forfour has had to go and I now own a Corsa with the conventional automatic. No reflection on the Forfour it's just that my wife never got on with the semi-auto. So as we're sort of retired her 1995 auto Tigra is going and it makes sense to share the use of the Corsa.
This forum has been fantastic and the level of postings and the growth of the site has been phenomenal.
So good luck Chrome101 and the rest of the guys and I shall still pop in from time to time to see what you're all up to.

;) bb

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 09:55:54 PM »

............This forum has been fantastic and the level of postings and the growth of the site has been phenomenal.
So good luck Chrome101 and the rest of the guys and I shall still pop in from time to time to see what you're all up to.

;) bb

Thanks for the praise basilbrush it's truly appreciated...and pop in any time, you're always welcome.  :)
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

Mull

• Hypno4health
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »

Well you've certainly picked the best place for Forfour advice. As you can see everybody has different preferences for engines and gearboxes all with bucketloads of enthusiasm. I drove the 1.3 softouch semi-automatic for nearly five years and although it was quirky it was fantastically reliable and economical. I would say though if you're a manual devotee go for a manual, the softouch is for people that prefer automatics plain and simple.
Sadly my Forfour has had to go and I now own a Corsa with the conventional automatic. No reflection on the Forfour it's just that my wife never got on with the semi-auto. So as we're sort of retired her 1995 auto Tigra is going and it makes sense to share the use of the Corsa.
This forum has been fantastic and the level of postings and the growth of the site has been phenomenal.

;) bb

Just come back to break the monotony of the Corsa  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:03:01 PM by CrazyG »