forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A few questions from a newby  (Read 6237 times)

Ben99w

• Chelmsford
A few questions from a newby
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »

Hi All,

So, I've recently acquired a Forfour 1.5 passion and have a few questions I've not been able to answer via the search.

Is the glass roof covered with a coating of some sort (specifically the front section)? Mine appears to be deteriorating and I was wondering about removing it with some sort of polish to get it back to bare glass.

Is the rear screen glass or acrylic? Mine's rather scratched from the rear washer and again I was wondering how aggressive a polish I was going to need.

What's that in front of the passenger seat? Immediately in front and to the left of the front passenger seat is a black metal frame with a tab of carpet type material that was definitely factory fit. What should be there?

How do I get the gear knob off? The leather on mine's damaged and I was thinking of renewing. I expected to be able to unscrew it, but if I apply any more force to it, something's gonna break if I'm wrong!

TIA for any  help!  :)

Ben

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
Re: A few questions from a newby
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »

Hi there and welcome! The standard panoramic roof is in two parts. The front part is coated polycarbonate and unfortunately the coating does deteriorate and come off at the front edge. The rest of it invariably crazes. The best solution seems to be a vinyl wrap, maybe fly eyes type if you want it to remain transparent (ish). The rear screen is glass so a glass polish might remove light scratches but nothing deeper. Sorry! In front of your passenger seat might be the bracket for the factory fit fire extinguisher? Finally the gear knob comes off with a sharp upward tug... just mind that you don't smack yourself in the face!!

:)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »

Hi there....
Rear roof panoramic panel is glass. Front panoramic panel is polycarbonate.....and it crazes.... :(
Nothing you can do to 'remove' the crazing.....except replace the panel, which is a dam expensive !
The only other viable 'option' as such is to 'fly-eyes' the entire roof in a colour that closely matches
your panel colours, or a colour that matches your Tridion.  See pictures of JJ's Brab with orange
'fly-eye'd' roof.  I've been thinking of doing mine to match my body panels as the crazing is a tad
'upsetting', but it's not a safety issue...and besides, I've not got round to ordering the stuff...yet.

Re your :- "What's that in front of the passenger seat ?"
Can we have a picture please....before we hazard a guess/opinion/answer ?

The gear knob comes up by pulling upwards...hard.  B U T  be warned...others have ended up
smacking themselves in the face/chin whe doing it..so lean your head away when you do it.
Have a read of this topic which describes it all....
http://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=704.0
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »

what gear knob do you have - if its the BRAB one you can unscrew the top half from the rest.

but yes - it pulls off.

i'd like a pic of the black metal frame.

have a look through your manual and see if you can spot it.

JJ

Ben99w

• Chelmsford
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »

Ok, thanks guys. The coating on the polycarbonate roof appears to come off with even a wet finger, so I may persevere with a polish. In the worse case if I ruin it I'll wrap it then!

Just picked up all my service consumables from Merc so got a servicing to carry out!

Cheers

Ben

Ben99w

• Chelmsford
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:22:31 PM »

The metal bracket looks like it might be from the fire extinguisher. I don't know if there's mean't to be any more to it so I don't know if it's worth ordering a replacement - although i guess I don't plan on setting fire to anything!

The gear knob did indeed pull off. If I can separate the top part, (its the standard knob) I'll re-cover it, otherwise it's new knob time or live with it being all plastic.

Whilst doing my oil change, it appears that someone has kindly lightened my Forfour by chucking the undertray, so I'll have to get onto a breakers for a replacement to improve the aerodynamics.

Anyway I gotta work a night shift tonight, so I must call it a day. Changed the oil and filters, jetwashed the engine bay and waxoyled the underside today. Still need to change the spark plugs and lubricate the gear shift.

Cheers

Ben

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »

Order the under tray from smart - it will probably be cheaper :)

JJ