forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1.3 Pulse peeling roof  (Read 13100 times)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: 1.3 Pulse peeling roof
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »

sun/uv breaks down plastic

maybe its a mix of sun/wet/sun/wet

it only takes a small bit of damage for water to get under there and split the layers

JJ

Deszus

• London
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »

Of course it's mix sun and water. Oxygen quickens ageing plastics (polymers) when UV radiation is current. So what's water? Water is oxygen. Protonated oxygen. So water quickens plastic ageing even faster.

Nothing will last forever. Maybe only time. And ForFour. ;D

If forever lasting roof is needed I'd recommend granite, titanium or sapphire. Unfortunately only heaviest of them will survive millions of years on Earth surface. LOL
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:22:02 PM by Deszus »
W454 1.5 CDI 5-s manual 70 kW 210 Nm 200kkm+

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »

costa cups seem to last a while ;)

JJ

Deszus

• London
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »

Especially paper ones. They last forever! I see them everyday on every corner. It's like a time travel to the future. They're here now, and they will be here tomorrow.

There will be one on my grave. Or six. Dancing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:32:35 PM by Deszus »
W454 1.5 CDI 5-s manual 70 kW 210 Nm 200kkm+

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 02:35:12 PM »

Could it be the hot/cold/dry/wet weather cycle causes this peeling? All the Forfours I've seen in Spain, including my own, the roofs are all perfect.

Well, I'll eat my words. The top layer of my roof has started to separate. I squeezed all the water out through some invisible holes I found. Incredibly it happened to 2 areas at the same time, and I've never noticed it before... so it looks like it degraded in both spots at the same time. I'd like to try Alex's advice and peel that top layer off, but I certainly don't want to make it look any worse than it already does.

So, I am thinking of getting a price from a vinyl wrap company to do all the peeling for me and put some nice gloss black or carbon-effect wrap on top. If it's not too expensive on the quote, I might then try peeling off a layer safe in the knowledge I can get it sorted if it ends up looking like a dogs dinner, and if not, I'll leave it at that and save the money.

Gahhhh... always something to take a bite out of my wallet, eh? Car ownership certainly ain't for the financially challenged.
LHD 2004 Pulse 1.1l (VVT). Black on black - 100,000 km

Ocracoke

• The Wirral - OHai! Om nom nom...
    • WirralSmarts
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »

I just let it happen on my 2002 City-Coupe's roof when it happened (they have the same type of covering). I had intentions of wrapping it myself but I would want the roof panel off to do it. Tried doing it insitu but I can't reach where I need to reach. A roll of carbon-fibre effect vinyl is reasonably cost effective.

2004 ForFour 1.3 AMT - The yellow 454!

http://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5224.0 - The WirralSmarts mod/upgrade thread

1x 454 1.3 S-A, 1x 450 RHD mk5, 1x 450 mk5 CDI

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »

It's been years since i peeled a layer back. Just treat it with some plastic shine afterwards and it's as good as new.

I don't think wrapping a pimply surface is within the realm of possibility, not unless you vacuum seal the whole thing.

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »

Thanks for the tip... so, is it pimply plastic all the way down?

I was under the impression there were a few layers of the textured stuff on top of smooth polycarb... just a bit confused as to what I should expect...

Also, the layers aren't 'peeling' yet, so to speak, but water bubbles that I squeezed out, like air bubbles under vinyl. Obvs. it's on it's way out, but not anywhere as bad as the OP's pic at the top of this thread...
LHD 2004 Pulse 1.1l (VVT). Black on black - 100,000 km
Pages: 1 [2]