forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Keys....  (Read 7052 times)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Keys....
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

Can you just replace the blade on the forfour key??

And if so, can this be done without losing coding?

I ask because Timpsons cut blade keys for £35 each

(they also do coding in store for an extra £40)

JJ

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
Re: Keys....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »

The metal blade in mine is solidly within the plastic shell, so I'd say no.

------

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »

So not like a fortwo then???

JJ

bowei001

• Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:28 PM »

You can replace the blade on a forfour but what a bugger of a job!  I had a new blade cut by a locksmith in Margate and then cut off the old blade from the "blipper" and carefully milled out the stub that was left.  I then dismantled the "blipper and fed the new blade in from the back and araldited the blade into position.  The set up is perfect except for one thing - the key I worked on was a second hand one from ebay that I was told could be recoded.  It CANNOT be recoded.  Both an Indi and a main MB dealer have tried and failed.  I now have a perfect key to unlock the door using the lock and which goes in the ignition and turns, but nothing else.  It looks the part but that's all (at least I have a spare if I break my blade and swap over the internals).  If you go down this route and use the original internals of the "blipper", you won't lose the coding.  If your internals work OK and it is just the blade that is the problem, you can get a Mitsubishi Colt key fob off ebay and get the blade cut (mine cost, I think, about £12.50 to cut) and then swap the internals over.  The logo on the fob is different but in total it won't cost you about £180-£200  like a new MB one will.
06 CDi Passion

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »

sounds v complex

is it possible to just buy the blank key/fob and then get it cut?

then can i just swap the internals??

JJ

bowei001

• Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »

Yes, you can buy a Mitsubishi 2 button key fob from ebay (eg Item number: 390413153653) and then have the blade cut and swap internals.  No one seems to make blank Smart fobs.  The Mitsubishi (repro) fobs have the advantage that the blade unscrews, unlike the Smart ones which are moulded in.  The Mitsubishi one has the Mitsubishi logo on one side as opposed to the Smart one  but as the fob costs only about £9 to buy, if your internals are OK, even with cutting, the cost is a lot less than MB.  I only had one original key so I bought a second hand Smart fob and took the internals out and put them in a Mitsubishi fob and they fitted.  Then I worked on the second hand Smart fob to replace the blade (I had 2 blades cut at the same time) and that worked.  Unfortunately, the second hand internals would not code so I had to buy a new key from MB.  If your internals are OK, the Mitsubishi fob from ebay is a cheap way to go if you don't mind the logo.
06 CDi Passion

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 04:19:20 AM »

That's very useful for me too.  I had one key, broken in two, when I got the car, so ordered a new one from MB and swapped the internals over, so I have one brand new key.

This is a much cheaper way to get another "whole" key, to put the newer internals in.  Then I just need to think about getting the new internals coded!

------

lil.smartie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »

If your new key was ordered from MB from your VIN then it's already coded, it just needs activated with the STAR diagnostics at either an indie or a main dealer.
Fobs & blades are not sold as individual items from MB and need to be ordered (or at least collected) in person with photo ID & the V5C.

Kate