forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Smart ForFour Passion 52kW (2015) vs Smart ForFour Passion 70kW (2006) testdrive  (Read 22883 times)

lil.smartie

I didn't notice.... but then the Fiat 500 is the same!

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds

noticed it straight away. my mum civic has a nice metal foot rest and on the gen 1 forfour there is plenty of space to rest your left foot
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

FireFlower

• Enjoy motorsports & grill some sausages - Finland

Saw one on the road yesterday... Somebody actually bought one here or just some magazine driving around???
Pity the fool.

Edit: The car might be ideal for Hammond?  8) Maybe we will get 24 hours in ForFour again? :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:07:07 AM by FireFlower »
ForFour Passion (manual) 1330cm3 RON95/E85 2006, no factory extras

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon

Maybe. And no doubt they would come to exactly the same conclusion... too expensive for what it is and too much competition. In that first 24hrs test in my opinion they missed the point. Yes, the forfour was quite expensive compared to some of the 'opposition' but it was/is a premium product with a quality about it. No hard, scratchy interior, solid switchgear etc. Ho hum eh?

:)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION

But people buy what they can afford and most often buy on HP

The forfour was a big commitment and in 2004 a quirky choice, an unknown entity and not on many people's shopping list.

But it's benefitted us now as we have a great looking, quality, affordable and rare car that is so much more reliable than anything else out there :)

Can someone post a twingo vs forfour set of pics too :)

JJ

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts

Why not just use Google and see loads of images of both for yourself ?
It save's having to host and post them up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've had a look and to be honest, there's dam all difference in the interiors.
Colours etc are similar, though to me it appears the majority of Renault's
are more colourful and more funky than most of the 'reserved' Smart ones.

It's the exterior that most will see, and Renault has the advantage over Smart
in that they offer a model that Smart do not !   :o  (as far as I can ascertain)
           A 3 door  !   :)

Smart ForFour Gen.2 external images
(interspiced with ForTwo pictures ! Obviously the poeple who posted those
 images can't tell the difference for some godforsaken unknown reason !)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1152&bih=598&q=smart+forfour+2015+interior&oq=Smart+ForFour&gs_l=img.3.5.0l10.3376.6081.0.11974.13.10.0.3.3.0.118.686.8j1.9.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..1.12.707.-N5CI0iwCpw#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=smart+forfour+2015+exterior&imgdii=_

Renault Twingo external images.
(also interspiced with images of Clio's and Megane's !)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1152&bih=598&q=smart+forfour+2015+interior&oq=Smart+ForFour&gs_l=img.3.5.0l10.3376.6081.0.11974.13.10.0.3.3.0.118.686.8j1.9.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.62.img..1.12.707.-N5CI0iwCpw#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=Renault+Twingo+2015+exterior&imgdii=_

Forgetting which one is made by whoever, as far as I am concerned
there is only one of them that to my mind is the 'prettiest' and most
pleasing to the eye....but you make your own mind up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:04:27 PM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

mozilla

• there is only one

They both look good (ok maybe the french one is a tad easier on the eye but the smart looks more 'upmarket')

And why would anyone buy a 3 door if a 5 door is available? ( and at same price) The clio's are all 5 door now including the RS hot hatch where it makes least sense

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts

"....the smart looks more upmarket..."    ???

I was going to ask how you came to that conclusion, but we all
each have our own way of looking at/seeing things, so ok, that's
how you see it.  :(

Alex

• Romania

I took the 71hp Fortwo for a testdrive today, and I must say that in normal city driving it is very pleasant. However, putting your foot down at any revs does mostly nothing, so filling in a gap in fast paced traffic is a bit more involving than with my forfour, having to downshift and get on the gas in anticipation. Maybe the turbocharged one will be more responsive, this feels very very flat, like it doesn't accelerate, it just goes progressively faster...

I think it would make a good car for somebody like my girlfriend, or for somebody after a nice A to B car, who doesn't care what engine it is, or where it's placed.

The turning circle is genius, turned it around in the petrol station after filling up, then turned it 360 a couple of times to really see how tight it turns...it had me laughing. Very nice, it will make parking and getting out of little streets packed with cars on both sides a lot easier...

I will be fiddling with the controls and try to find out more about it's features in the following days, and also try to get a real feel for the fuel economy, although on the return trip from Mercedes it averaged a worse consumption than i got going there in my forfour 1.3 BUT it's still a new car, economy will get better, and as i drive it more and get a sense of where it likes to sit at rev wise, i'm sure I'll better my fuel consumption.

The gear ratios are ok, I didn't rev past 3000 except in second because of traffic, but normally i drive in  5th gear and it stays there quite happily between 1500-1800 revs, at around 50-60kph...accelerating is another matter, it reveals it's unwillingness to rev, but even in my 1.3 I'd downshift in this instance so it's not a big issue, but does speak a lot about the dynamics of the car..the engine shudders a bit, or maybe it's the 3-cyl balance combined with low revs...but the 1.3 doesn't do this, and although it's not sprinting from 1500 revs in 5th it doesn't shudder, it goes along picking up speed.

Next to this new fortwo, the new forfour looks a lot better, it has a nicer stance thanks to the way the tridion wraps around in the rear. With a more lively engine, it could be a worthy successor to the forfour. The car felt comfortable and it stays on the road...a bit ugly, but people have been telling me that about my forfour for years...so it's down to personal taste...

The wheel is nice and chunky, but too close to the chest if you don't have long legs...set up for town driving i couldn't see the top of the speedo, so town speeds 40-70 were obscured, luckily there's also a digital speed readout on the in instrument panel cluster. The renault sourced switches and levers had a less negative impact in person...but i'm still not pleased with them...

mozilla

• there is only one

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/2015-smart-forfour-gets-virtual.html

This one looked good.. .then i realised its been photoshopped !

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts

Looks okay (sort of), but as you said, its photshopped and not gonna happen.
1/ 5 stud fitting.....whereas its a 4 stud.
2/ that low there's no clearance between the arches and the tyres
3/ it'll be 'all show n no go'.

Pathetic to be honest.

lil.smartie

Not gonna happen.... erm Mr W has claimed the W453 so lowering springs, induction kit & spacers already waiting for the car, front grill at the paint shop too!

I am now getting a C453 as compensation for losing it's big brother!

Kate

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION

It's not hosting - just meant to put [img] around the google links - it's much easier doing a side by side compare on 1 page rather than link and I was at work so couldn't do it :)

JJ

FireFlower

• Enjoy motorsports & grill some sausages - Finland

I Read Tekniikan Maailma's test drive article (4th issue 2015), pointed almost same things as myself except clutch (I cannot be only one?)

Anyway no luck with head lights either, they are "acceptable" manufactured by Valeo (Twingo has Hella), changing bulbs should be easy.

Quick summary of TM test drive:
  • Price difference between Passion (worst) and Prime (best) models is 1000€, ForTwo model costs 600€ less
  • Don't hold fantasies for cabin volume, especially leg and head room at rear seats has decreased dramatically
  • Boot space volume has changed from 270l to 160l (seats up)
  • Twingo has 5 cm more head and leg room at front and back seats, which is weird
  • Assistant driver seat folds in two
  • There is option for multi function back seat, which gives more headroom (A MUST OPTION!!!) <----HOPE HOPE HOPE
  • Passion model defaults: automatic climate control, cruise control, speed limiter and hill start assistant
  • Prime gives leather interior finish and active lane watcher
  • Proxy gives 10 millimeters lower sport option (and Prime options also)
  • Factory options list is similar to exclusive car option list (loooooonnngggg)
  • Euro 6 motor, still Twingo gets better fuel economy (more aerodynamic)
  • Tough suspension, lots of grip, ESP handles well in all situations even with intentional slide
  • Not shaky with emergency braking
  • Thinner tires are a design feature where it doesn't over- or understeer, it is balanced perfectly
  • Brakes are inaccurate with slow speeds (On-Off)
  • In city ForFour is silent, probably thanks to thin tires and lots of fabric in interior design (quality)
  • On high way engine can be heard over tires but it doesn't sound annoying
  • Every detail is different from Twingo
  • Headlights are not very good, only acceptable, twingo has slightly better according to our test instruments
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:11:20 AM by FireFlower »
ForFour Passion (manual) 1330cm3 RON95/E85 2006, no factory extras

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon

This weeks Auto Express compares smart forfour/Renault Twingo/Skoda Citigo. Their conclusion... 1st Skoda, 2nd forfour, 3rd Twingo. Makes quite a good read. I realise that looks are a very emotive thing but to me the VW trio of up!/Mii/Citigo have no styling AT ALL. I think that their styling department must have had the day off! Totally boring. Whereas the new C1 I think is great!
:~)
 :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:18:05 PM by Brabs »
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)
Pages: 1 [2] 3