forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Meet the new forfour  (Read 16715 times)

Fox

• Luton
Re: Meet the new forfour
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »

Where does the radiator go if the engines in the back? Same issue getting cold air to an intercooler without using ridiculously long piping. Does that rule out a hot hatch version?

I would guess it is in the front. Both the Rad and the intercooler. Same as on the fortwo and many other rear engine, watercooled vehicles.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

basilbrush

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »

Wait a minute, the Twingo is very nice! This new forfour however made our original ones into instant classics :D.

That just about sums it up Alex. Most of the people on here have gone into the Forfour experience as secondhand owners and have been buying into a classic. The Forfour is different from the mainstream cars, but is also basically conventional. The new Forfour is not being produced for any of you it's for a new market and new buyers. I believe this new car to be a sideshow to the Fortwo and something else to put in the showrooms whilst Renault will be pushing the Twingo hard as their city car. What they are producing is another city car to compete wth all the other city cars that every other manufacturer is churning out nowadays.
I wonder why neither Renault or Mercedes seem to be keen on producing the car in their own country and providing jobs for their own people. There is more to this than meets the eye with the way companies shift money across borders and pay or not pay corporation tax etc .
Anyway it will be brave buyers that go for a rear wheel drive car with unproven dsg drive train.
I thought that the French had long given up on rear engined cars and as the owner of a new Hillman Imp in the seventies I sort of know why. The Imp was a little character, but only beat the mini on price.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »

I'm sure they will do an RS twingo so similar BRABUS/AMG tuned forfour ;)

Is the fortwo not just awaiting a smaller engine from Renault?

JJ

basilbrush

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

I'm sure they will do an RS twingo so similar BRABUS/AMG tuned forfour ;)

Is the fortwo not just awaiting a smaller engine from Renault?

JJ

Yes they may tweak it up a bit, but it's never going to be as poky as yours. This article I found seems to cast a bit of doubt on it though http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/Renault-kills-Twingo-133--whats-next-for-the-little-RS-hot-hatch/

This is more in tune with what I think is going on http://gomotors.net/news/Daimler-is-going-to-increase-Smart-sales-on-the-Chinese-auto-market/

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »

Wonder what transmission(s) will be used in the new Twingo/forfour? Wonder if a manual will remain?

:)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

mozilla

• there is only one
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

Where does the radiator go if the engines in the back? Same issue getting cold air to an intercooler without using ridiculously long piping. Does that rule out a hot hatch version?

I would guess it is in the front. Both the Rad and the intercooler. Same as on the fortwo and many other rear engine, watercooled vehicles.

Isnt the intercooler underneath at the back of the car? On the roadsters there is a cold air scoop underneath which often gets battered by speed humps

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 05:14:36 PM »

Isnt the intercooler underneath at the back of the car? On the roadsters there is a cold air scoop underneath which often gets battered by speed humps

Sorry, yeah. I don't know why I wrote it like that. I did write about them both getting feed from the front of the vehicle. I guess I ballsed that up. Haha. I'd guess the rad at front and ic at rear, either scoop or cold air feed from front or side.

J500ANT

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »

This Twingo looks promising!
http://www.worldcarfans.com/114030471178/2014-renault-twingo-hits-geneva-with-two-engines-cabin

Seems Renault don't need an air intake on the rear wing, but it seems the forfour does  ??? There are also details on the net about engines (69bhp and 89bhp turbo) 5spd manual or dual clutch gearboxes. Liking it rather a lot!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:04:39 PM by J500ANT »

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »

Not sure on that wierd coloured surround on the dash...

brulaw

• There is only one brubus ......... S E London .
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 05:58:12 PM »

Still looks like a Fiat 500 clone  .....  and I could not get along with that Interior .

ForFour  ....... It knows it's  smart .
www.forfour.co.uk

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »

I'm a little frustrated as to why there is so much info about the Twingo and yet nex to nothing from MB about the fortwo/forfour! Obviously that item about the Twingo states 'Renault' this and 'Renault' that but I wonder how much MB input will go into the smart versions. Think about the cheapo interior of the Colt compared to our forfours. Well there is no comparison!  >:(
 :)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

basilbrush

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

This particular platform sharing collaboration has caused Renault to totally remodel the Twingo in every way. Maybe the deal is to let Renault release first to get their sales and customer acceptance kicked off. The new Forfour is bound to be a stretched version of the new Fortwo and share the dash, seats and equipment.

basilbrush

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »

This particular platform sharing collaboration has caused Renault to totally remodel the Twingo in every way. Maybe the deal is to let Renault release first to get their sales and customer acceptance kicked off. The new Forfour is bound to be a stretched version of the new Fortwo and share the dash, seats and equipment.
People are hoping for something special to replace the original Forfour, but I think all you'll get will be two and fourdoor versions of the same thing. I hope it'll be good and will there be a New For four section on here ???
Sorry double post tablet and fingers :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:35:48 PM by basilbrush »

Lawton1987

• Leicestershire/Nottingham
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »

Was told by my friend who works for smart that the new forfour will have the screen and stereo that is fitted in the a-class, b-class etc. a rearview parking camera or sensors. Will also have the crosswind assist that is fitted in the s-class and the option to have the mercedes night styling added to the car.
Owner of an 454 Pulse Black/Red and a 451 Lightshine Silver/Green.
Pages: 1 2 [3]