forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UK MOT's and HID conversions  (Read 14131 times)

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
UK MOT's and HID conversions
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »

spoke to out MOT station and HID conversions as of 01/08 will be an instant fail as will be loud  after market exhaust.

so jj, get them HID conversion off!
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
Re: UK MOT's and HID conversions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:57:30 PM »

spoke to out MOT station and HID conversions as of 01/08 will be an instant fail as will be loud  after market exhaust.

so jj, get them HID conversion off!

What's the decibel rating for the zorst?

And to clarify... HID conversion of halogen lamps / swapping of halogen units to HID units / not having the right criteria for installing HIDs / all of the above... delete as applicable.
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

JonoC

• 1.5 CDI Forfour Running on TD 16" Pro 1.2s
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »

My idea for HIDs down the pan :(
Meditate On Bassweight - DMZ

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »

How do they know if it's an aftermarket kit? (if ballasts are not visible)

Any link to the vosa page on this would be cool :)

JJ

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:55:49 AM »

How do they know if it's an aftermarket kit? (if ballasts are not visible)

Any link to the vosa page on this would be cool :)

JJ

i asked our MOT station, tried looking on VOSA's site, couldn't find it.
they will know if the lights have been converted as cars with factory fit HID lights have headlamp washers and ride height sensors. if you have a look at the switch pack where you can adjust the headlight height, the halogen lights will have a manual adjuster switch but cars with HID lights wont have the adjuster switch as its all done automatically via the ride height sensors.
as for loud exhausts, he didn't say how loud but did say if it has an after market exhaust it will fail

*maxed in Germany

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:06:10 AM »

I think somebody needs to clue up a little... there needs to be a little more specification than 'after market will fail' as any third party make of exhaust that's even 'like for like' would fail then.

Aren't there already DB limitations on exhausts? I had a copper whine at me before (he was just out to be a git, looking for something on the car to do me for...) asking if my exhaust met decibel regulations. He also asked me if the exhaust was original... I said no, it wasn't, but it would be a bloody good exhaust if it was since the the car was made in 1987!

What about cars with loud factory 'zorsts? Do all AMGs, Ferraris, Porsches, TVRs and Zondas instantly fail MOT because they are loud as standard?
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

I have headlamp washers and I will hide my ballasts but I doubt the mot stations will spend time investigating all these things without having to take more time and thus adding cost to MOTs :(

Are vosa really telling us now that we can only buy cheap crap exhausts from kwikfit rather than quality stainless ones that will last for ever and not fall off while travelling down the motorway causing havoc or rust through and blow making the car less economical?

It all seems more like gossip at the moment because I really can't see how it will be possible to put hundreds of thousands of companies across Europe out of business with this sort of EU legislation :(

JJ

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »

Are vosa really telling us now that we can only buy cheap crap exhausts from kwikfit rather than quality stainless ones that will last for ever and not fall off while travelling down the motorway causing havoc or rust through and blow making the car less economical?

It all seems more like gossip at the moment because I really can't see how it will be possible to put hundreds of thousands of companies across Europe out of business with this sort of EU legislation :(

JJ

I'd like to know what this guy meant too... It sounds like a load of b@ll@cks to me.
The financial implications are just mind boggling.

There are millions of vehicles out there that simply don't have manufacturers parts made for them any more and require third party exhausts... and many that were made by manufacturers who now don't exist!
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »

I found this....

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2048%20-%20Oct%202010.pdf

Which refers to the changes coming in the next year - but it talks about engine management lights, faulty traction control lights etc - things that are displayed through warning lights on the dash! It says other things such as light bulb comparability and "illegal" (???) remaps would be more difficult to implement and would need further consideration before implementation ;)

And here is a later publication..

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2049%20-%20Jan%202011.pdf

..that only states that they are well on there way to implementing the changes but don't say what changes (if looking back at the other publication, then it still doesn't mention HIDs or Remaps or exhausts.... No other sites have any info that I can see...

....I have seen lots of talk of reducing the frequency of MOTs which I think is also a stupid move!!

JJ
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:58:17 PM by Problemchild »

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »

ride hight sensors are easilt visable under the car. one part is fixed to the body or subframe and the other side is fixed to the moving part of the suspention.

by aftermarket exhausts, i ment aftermarket performance exhaust

like i said i did ask out MOT station and he said the kids with HID conversions fitted to there cars will fail as they dont have the appropriate requirements for having HID lights. factory fit ones will obviously pass as they have headlamp washers and ride hight sensors.
i to have looked for the lighting changes but i found nothing.
i do trust our MOT station as they fail cars on the things we have picked up on the health check/service

*maxed in Germany

LadyV

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

Hi,

Perhaps getting something in writing from them?

I thought MOTs were to check the running of the vehicle and if it's safe to drive, not to pick up on people's modifications that might not be original parts.

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »

ride hight sensors are easilt visable under the car. one part is fixed to the body or subframe and the other side is fixed to the moving part of the suspention.

by aftermarket exhausts, i ment aftermarket performance exhaust

like i said i did ask out MOT station and he said the kids with HID conversions fitted to there cars will fail as they dont have the appropriate requirements for having HID lights. factory fit ones will obviously pass as they have headlamp washers and ride hight sensors.
i to have looked for the lighting changes but i found nothing.
i do trust our MOT station as they fail cars on the things we have picked up on the health check/service

Stainless steel zorts fit the category of 'performance' even if its 'like-for-like'.
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »

Perhaps they will fail your car if it has an exhaust that is louder than standard (there should be a decibel reading i the car's documents somewhere, in Romania you have this info) and if it emits more CO2 and other baddies than standard. They can check this easily with the exhaust probe and a decibel reader, so no need for fancy expensive equipment.

As for HIDs, it will also be easy to detect. When you start a car with factory HIDs it does an auto calibration of the headlight height. Ours don't. Factory fit HIDs have the ballasts integrated in the headlamp, no extra wires come out through holes in the lids. And I'm sure they have other ways that we can't think of.

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 08:14:32 PM »

i know this is an old post but i had to report something that happened with my SB3's MOT today. it failed on a cracked wheel and the headlights.

AS OF MARCH 2021 HID AND LED CONVERSIONS ARE AN MOT FAILURE. there is no if's, and's or but's. they are a failure regardless of there being a beam pattern.

*maxed in Germany

El Tel

• Spain - Barcelona
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 08:26:38 PM »

And I'm sure they have other ways that we can't think of.

If they have your car details up on the screen it's reasonable to assume they could display or otherwise know if the manufacturer ever produced a homologated HID kit.

If no such HID kit was ever manufactured and the car in front of you somehow has it, instant fail.

On the other hand, if you retrofitted HID or LED lights which are OEM original & homologated, whether available from factory as an option or only fitted to later models, it's hard to see how they could fail you.

In Spain it's been illegal for a long time to make any modification to car lighting (even fitting Cibies, rally lamps, light bars) without homologation and a certificate from a qualified mechanic. If they catch you will probably be fined and your car will be off the road until you return it to stock.

However an exemption exists for OEM / mfg original parts.... so retrofitting Smart(tm) brand front fog lights caused me no problems at all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:28:50 PM by El Tel »
LHD 2004 Pulse 1.1l (VVT). Black on black - 100,000 km
Pages: [1] 2