forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Twitchy handling?  (Read 15304 times)

gregk2

• Lincolnshire
Re: Twitchy handling?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »

Im impressed, how did you manage to get oversteer ;-)
Maybe it was just really bad surface imperfections, when I used to run the wides on the front I do remember some scary tramlining on horrible roads although I cornering was more confident

It wasn't fun progressive oversteer, it was a quick snap which felt like the car just wanted to swap ends momentarily!
Brabus Forfour

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »

i have same tyres all round with good tread and new bilsteins yet i'm still feeling some strange handling at the moment.

JJ

mozilla

• there is only one
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »

must be the weather...

Scoobysook

• SW London
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 12:45:40 AM »

I have 8J wheels all around and have 215 40 17 on them all, no probs or issues with speedo or abs etc. tyres ate cheaper, more choice and  slightly larger helps to soften the ride ever so slightly.

I'm running vredestein's currently all around. They seem ok and were a decent tyre at a decent price- £90 each fitted

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »

The wear out indicator on the tire sits at 1.6mm, so at 4mm you would be more than double over it. And so you should, at 3mm you are on the limit if there is water on the road, and anything under 3mm is inviting aquaplaning and loosing control. And no electronic aid will work when there is no grip, so don't count on the ESP or ABS to help you when you aquaplane, it will probably make it worse.

If it was a one time occurance, maybe there was something on the road, water, grease, oil, dirt, sand etc. You ran over the dirty patch with the wheels turned so they lost grip and you had understeer, then the front wheels got to the clean road and gripped well but now the back wheels were on the dirty patch and they had no grip. So front wheel grip but no back wheel grip would be snap oversteer if you had the wheels turned (and you did).

Find another roundabout or a wide street and try it out again. If the car feels fine than it was the road there. If it doesn't start by checking tire pressures, then shocks and alignment (although the standard suspension has built in camber on the front (and i think castor as well) so you can only adjust the toe, and at the back they are all fixed, so not much to go wrong.

basilbrush

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »

Getting the tyres matched first with Falkens all round is a good idea. I've had a look at reviews on Hankook V12 Evo out of curiosity and there are quite a few comments on soft sidewalls.

gregk2

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 10:27:01 AM »

Ok the car was worse this morning, i went straight to the garage and it was blindingly obvious by now, punctured rear n/s tyre! Duhhh

Pain in the ass as nobody keeps that tyre size in stock, so can't get one til tomorrow now
Brabus Forfour

Scoobysook

• SW London
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38:39 AM »

At least it's an easy fix and not one if the new tyres that needs replacing. Is it worth changing both tyres at the front for a matching pair? If so I rec 215 40 17. More choice, more cheaper

gregk2

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »

At least it's an easy fix and not one if the new tyres that needs replacing. Is it worth changing both tyres at the front for a matching pair? If so I rec 215 40 17. More choice, more cheaper

And leave the rears as 235 35 17?
Brabus Forfour

basilbrush

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »

I would grab the Falkens while they are still available. Is it possible for a puncture repair? Four new Falkens carefully rotated would give a fair period of peace of mind. Then other options on wheel/tyre combinations can be considered at leisure.

gregk2

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »

I would grab the Falkens while they are still available. Is it possible for a puncture repair? Four new Falkens carefully rotated would give a fair period of peace of mind. Then other options on wheel/tyre combinations can be considered at leisure.

A puncture repair is not possible unfortunately, i was thinking about getting another 3 as you said, at least i can rotate them that way.
Brabus Forfour

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »

Falkens at Camskills ??

Next day delivery.

I think the rear soft tyre on mine is my issue. May have to take a hammer to the rim, or try the valve for leaks again.

Was ok this morning though handling wise.

JJ
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:09:16 PM by CrazyG »

kanapa1

• Now in my car nothing from MB. (Poland)
    • http://www.smartklub.pl/
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

Oponeo is OK.  ;)
Now 454 Brab Titan and 451 Limited Three, ex 454 1,5 Passion, ex 450 599cc from 1999.
http://www.smartklub.pl/   Face Mar Kana
Pages: 1 [2]