forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forfour Frenzy :)  (Read 11139 times)

9582djk

• Surrey
Forfour Frenzy :)
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

Hey all

I really want a Forfour, now its gone to a stage that when I see one I go and look around it. I have had owners asking me why lol. I'm trying to come to terms on the different specs, I've seen a passion on eBay that is fully loaded though a 1.1, 32k ,1 owner, fsh. It is up for £3995 but the dealer won't budge. I am sitting on the fence s to what version to go for. I noticed many Passions don't have pods which I thought was odd as being a higher spec model over the Pulse. I know one things for sure I'm going for a manual box as Ive had enough of the semi auto Smart box.
At the current time I'm still trying to sell the Roadster. Its typical as there have been a few good Forfour examples for sale, but I can't do nout until the Roadster goes.
I have been getting quotes on insurance and to be honest there isn't much difference from a 1.1 Passion to a Brabus lol.
Sorry to rant :)
Brabus 454

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: Forfour Frenzy :)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:51 PM »

Hmmmmmm - hold on and wait for the car you want.

You may find the 1.1 a little underpowered but depends what you are looking for.

Have you considered the diesel??

What is your shopping list??

JJ

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »

....I noticed many Passions don't have pods which I thought was odd as being a higher spec model over the Pulse.

The pods were optional fit on all models, except the Brabus.....
and the odd thing about them though is that they stuffed a clock in
one of them when there is already a digital one in the dash display.
An oil pressure gauge would have been a far better choice, or a
boost gauge (if it was a turbo such as the CDI or the Brabus)

....I'm going for a manual box as Ive had enough of the semi auto Smart box.

The AMT is not the same as the one in the Roadster or the ForTwo.
A few people have had problems, many others; myself included; have
not had any major issues.  In fact, the 6 speed AMT is more frugal
on fuel than the 5 speed manual. I wouldn't rule them out 100%.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »

You may find the 1.1 a little underpowered but depends what you are looking for.

Have you considered the diesel??

you comment about the 1.1 being under powered is true to some extent. its a cracking little engine which is nippy enough, it will hold its own on the motorway and will get you to where you want to go, but if your in a hurry then or try and accelerate in gear then its got 'no go' unless your above 3500 rpm. better buy a forfour with a bigger engine

the diesel is only worth considering IF you do the mileage to justify having one. if you do less than 12,000 miles a year then petrol will be cheaper. with the mileage im currently doing it would be worth me buying a diesel (mine has turned 98k miles today). i do 50 miles a day and fill my 1.1 every 8ish days, so in total about 420 miles or there about's to tank. the economy from a diesel is out-weight'd by the cost of filling it.
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

9582djk....
have a look around and find some 1.3 owners, and fire off a few PM's to ask
them frankly what they think of them...both manual and AMT versions.

one I can suggest is kimi...he (or his wife to be more accurate) has a
1.3 AMT......he drove down from Lichfield in it to the Ace Café last week.
His words/comments more or less matched those of my daughter...she has a 1.3 AMT. 
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

brulaw

• There is only one brubus ......... S E London .
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »

9582djk....
have a look around and find some 1.3 owners, and fire off a few PM's to ask
them frankly what they think of them...both manual and AMT versions.

one I can suggest is kimi...he (or his wife to be more accurate) has a
1.3 AMT......he drove down from Lichfield in it to the Ace Café last week.
His words/comments more or less matched those of my daughter...she has a 1.3 AMT.

I've got one (  the  AMT 1.3 ,will have had it 9 years come this September ) I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute  and every mile  ( only 29,000 of them ) and I still enjoy the car , and can't think of any reason not to keep it for another 9 years .

ForFour  ....... It knows it's  smart .
www.forfour.co.uk

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Have never found my 1.1 to be 'underpowered' in the slightest. It handles wonderfully, I can fly around any corner with ease, accelerate fast enough to destroy a clutch and it will hammer along up to and past the national speed limit with no issues.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 05:45:28 PM »

Mr Singh / Fox ....

As you both rightly say, it's not underpowered (its actually got a great bhp for such a small n/a engine)

My point was that people not used to driving it and using the rev range (like my dad who will be doing 30mph in 5th) may find it lacking in circumstances where a bigger car may have have a bit more go.

Not everyone likes to "drive" their car either to get the best from it.

JJ

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »

I rarely go past 4k revs and get more than satisfactory results.

In situations whereby you feel you actually need that bit more 'go', i think the 1.1 can give what you need in most situations. Ok so when you're doing 70 and feel the need to go faster it might take a fraction longer but tbh I have never struggled to get there or higher. People who don't like to, can't, or don't need to "drive" their car, generally don't require any of the extra power bigger engines give. You know they'll put their boot down and end up slamming their boot straight on the brake a second or two later.

I just don't think it really does 'lack' anything. We all get used to and learn to drive or operate exactly what we have over time. I have just never felt that the 1.1 is underpowered, too slow or lacking anything at all.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »

To my mind the handling characteristics of the car are far more important than its speed.

The Micra K12 1.4 is a fairly average goer - ten point something seconds 0-60, top speed in the low 100s.  Yet it's SO much fun to throw around town it more than makes up for it.

I imagine the 1.1 forfours being the same, with the uniquely awesome handling of our cars.

Of course, having the Brabus edition gives you both, but as Fox says, not everyone wants both.

------

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »

I think the big difference with the petrol engines of the forfour/Colt is the MIVEC timing system, giving a much wider band of power and a free revving engine. Coupled with the low weight and centre gravity makes all the forfour engines quite great engines.

Take the MIVEC unit 1.3l petrol and compare it with the 1.4l ECOTEC of GM, the 1.3 creates 95bhp and the 1.4l 100bhp, completely different beasts both have a VVT and timing chains with DOHC but the Mitsi unit has a much wider power band. In reality it looks as though there's a big difference in capacity but really theres only 0.05l between them!
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

kimi

• Lichfield
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:58:59 PM »

Hiya so your not too sure about the AMT gearbox, well the 1.3 passion we have is possibly the best little car we have owned, O.K we have only covered 6000mls in it up to now, we brought it with 45000mls on and have no complaints about anything on the car. On average she does an easy 50+ to the gallon (well the way the wife drives it LOL) and its got enough power to race off the line if you want to, sure if you want loads of acceleration then go for the Brabus 8), but remember they need more regular servicing. I just wish i had brought our 1.3 for myself and not the wife!! I hardly get to use it, so the run to the Ace Cafe with my mate was a real treat for me, 100mls down the motorway a constant 70mph (honest!) and as sweet as a nut. So we like the the AMT gearbox, its a good unit but whatever you do buy a car with good service history, then enjoy, their good fun cars to own ;D!

K80POO

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:14:07 PM »

I have driven about 16,000 miles this year in my 1.5 AMT and I love it.  You get to learn how to drive them, and it has a lovely kick down when you need it.  The "manual" option of selecting the gears when you want them means you can choose your gears, but to be honest I have got so lazy I hardly ever drive it in any other mode than auto.
I love mine, and find that when I drive our other manual car I much prefer the way mine drives.
Kate :)

New to Smart, should have got one years ago!

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:47 PM »

Hiya so your not too sure about the AMT gearbox, well the 1.3 passion we have is possibly the best little car we have owned, O.K we have only covered 6000mls in it up to now, we brought it with 45000mls on and have no complaints about anything on the car. On average she does an easy 50+ to the gallon (well the way the wife drives it LOL) and its got enough power to race off the line if you want to, sure if you want loads of acceleration then go for the Brabus 8), but remember they need more regular servicing. I just wish i had brought our 1.3 for myself and not the wife!! I hardly get to use it, so the run to the Ace Cafe with my mate was a real treat for me, 100mls down the motorway a constant 70mph (honest!) and as sweet as a nut. So we like the the AMT gearbox, its a good unit but whatever you do buy a car with good service history, then enjoy, their good fun cars to own ;D!

Only an interim oil change @ 6000 miles.

:)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 10:52:42 PM »

if you cover the mileage ;)

JJ