forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whirring sound around the ignition rev counter area  (Read 5252 times)

sasuke

Whirring sound around the ignition rev counter area
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

Have any of you experienced a funny whirring sound near the ignition barrel/rev counter area of the dashboard. It sounds like when a CD is loading up (making the chugging whirr'y sounds). It seems to happen a minutes into a drive and the only thing I've noticed it once doing that might not be related is reset my trip counter.

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
Re: Whirring sound around the ignition rev counter area
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »

Just a suggestion for anyone/everyone reading this, it would be of great help if peops gave the spec of their car (ie Model 1.3/manual) at the start of any enquiries or quesions to see if that helps isolate an issue for a particular model.  (Good idea ?)

Anyway..back to your issue Sasuke......the dash area of my CDi emits loads of whirs n whines when I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position....and then a few after that as well. As to a few minutes after.....I've not noticed, though that could be down to having the radio on nearly all the time.  I'll check it out next time I drive it.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
Re: Whirring sound around the ignition rev counter area
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »

My Brab does the same occasionally, if I turn the key to on without starting the engine.

Never noticed it after the car's running.  I imagine it's some relay or other firing up - as yours does it after a few minutes perhaps it indicates an oncoming problem.... any other symptoms?

------