forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 5517 times)

jmariog

• North London
Insurance
« on: March 14, 2021, 07:28:31 PM »

Just got a quote to change my 1.5 AMT to a brabus £8 a year more, worth getting one just for that.
Cooper mini moke 0 to 40 5seconds 40 up weeks
BMW CSLi 'bat mobile', Alpine A310 v6,
Marcos Mantis 1976 v6, 454 Passion 1.5 AMT,
454 Passion 1.1, 454 Brabus

snookey

• Moray
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 04:41:30 AM »

They are surprisingly reasonable to insure, considering the performance.  When I first insured mine three years ago I was changing over (mid-term) from my 1993 Volvo 850GLT 2.0 ltr 10v, with a 0-60 time over ten seconds, plus it was valued at just over a seventh of what I paid for the Brabus, yet unexpectedly I had to pay no additional premium for the remainder of the year.

On a somewhat related note, my renewal is due early next week so around a fortnight back I went online and switched insurers for the first time since 2017 (probably stupidly, I still have a bit of that loyalty thing loitering in my psyche, so I don't like swapping every year) and saved myself over twelve quid a month.  While I was getting my quotes I did a bit of fiddling with the options, as I usually do, and this time round I played with the excess settings, to see what difference it made.  I always have a zero voluntary excess, on the grounds that I'm paying to have the insurer cover any damage, so why bark myself and fork out money when there is no necessity.  I selected a hundred quid excess and was surprised that it only dropped my premium by forty pence per month.  Therefore I clicked to two hundred and fifty quid for a better result.  However, I was raising eyebrows as the premium was now only eleven pence lower than with a zero excess.  Curious, I decided to go big, choosing the maximum five hundred voluntary.  Astonishingly, the monthly payment was now six pence more than with no voluntary excess.  My mind was utterly boggled.  I used to work in insurance and know how tricksy these companies are, still it seemed totally illogical.  I can only guess that it says something about what the insurers think of people who choose to have extra excess on their policy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:44:03 AM by snookey »
2006 forfour Brabus