forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How much do you love your 454?  (Read 8824 times)

BlackCDI

• Germany
How much do you love your 454?
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:45:40 AM »

Driving down the avenue today and stopped at the stoplight. On both sides next to us stopped 2 newer 453s. I asked my gf "would you like to swap for this newer one if you considered a new car?"
(we bought the 454 for her mostly and prices are dropping down daily for a used 453s).

"looks somewhat cute but it doesn't look as a serious car, does it" she answered.

And really no, theoretically, I would never swap for a 453 anyways. We already said, no matter which car comes next, the 454 will remain in service in our family, if not here in Germany after full scale of diesel ban kicks in, then on Croatian coast when we visit every Summer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:46:53 AM by BlackCDI »
2006 Passion 95hp CDi Black Edition

My454

• I own the 'Monster from Mansfield'
Re: How much do you love your 454?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:14:16 AM »

I cannot help but agree with you. every other car manufacturer has actually increased the size of their small cars to what was the size of the older model of car in the next group up from it, like the Polo is now the size of the old Golf, the Mini the size of a Focus nearly, and the Micra....the size of the old Corolla.
the new ForFour on the other hand is the only one that has reduced in size. stick 4 full grown adults in it and unlike the 454 there is not a lot of room to spare anyware. boot space is laughable in comparison.
it, like the 453 (ForTwo) is now truly a town/rural car. i suppose that fits in with MB's vision that once you need a bigger car for longer distance driving and more comfort and opulance that you would then buy a 'proper' car such as a genuine MB 'A' class or bigger MB model.
1.3 Passion 454

Hanszinderfaan

• West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:00:15 PM »

On this very day, one year ago we began driving our 454 and to say chuffed to bits is an understatement.  We have not done a great deal of miles (3000) and apart from the occasional stubborn refusal to engage reverse has been trouble free, well mostly but nothing that would keep us off the road. Last September we did a day trip to Bridgend in S.Wales and back home in the south of England without refuelling, stopping only for some refreshment. Total travel time some seven hours. Wow, that was fun. When we first got it I had some reservations as to whether the OHs mobility scooter would fit in the rear. I did not realise until some time later that the entire rear seat folds up! oh  joy. I still have not fully read the manual. I did sense some rumbling from the back end this morning looks like a bearing on its way out. What could I possibly replace it with? Another 454 of course.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:04:00 PM by Hanszinderfaan »
1.3 Pulse 454 AMT

minimayhem

• London
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »

To the previous poster, changing the hub out if a simple and low cost job. 

I've had my 454 for 3 years now, which is actually the longest I've owned a car.  I've had a number of problems, brakes binding, had to replace the gearbox, but in all honesty its not been a bad car.

I've fixed the brake binding now it seems, which a journey to York (260 miles each way) confirmed.  The thing is, its so easy to drive.  Even with 3 people and luggage it'll achieve 50+ mpg on the motorway, and I can get mid 60's solo when hypermiling.  Steering feedback is oh so positive, and its a hoot to throw around country roads, working the little 1.1 3-cyl through its rev-range :)

Rear seats fold down to make it big enough to transport faily bulkey items, has aircon, a cracking sound system, roof bars...I plan to keep it running for as long as I possibly can, either to be replaced due to it being uneconomical to repair or if my needs ever change.

It does seem to attract dirt really badly, but oh well.
454 Pulse 1.1 manual

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »

how much do i love my forfour ??

well if you saw the receipts for all the parts that i bought and fitted will justify how much i love my forfour!
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

steddie eddie

• Retired Engineer in New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:09:18 PM »

How much i love my forfour,  mine is for sale.
2004 Passion 1.5 petrol AMT,19.15km per litre.... 5.22liter 100km.... 54.1mpg....that is average.

brulaw

• There is only one brubus ......... S E London .
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 02:41:07 AM »

How much do I love my forfour ?

Well , I think it must be a lot  because I've had it from new ( September  2004 ) so it'll be 15 years this coming September , it is by far the longest I've ever kept a car  ( previous to the forfour  the longest was probably a couple of years ) , so .... I guess I love it LOTS   :)

ForFour  ....... It knows it's  smart .
www.forfour.co.uk

Didge3

• Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 11:03:52 AM »

Even with 3 people and luggage it'll achieve 50+ mpg on the motorway, and I can get mid 60's solo when hypermiling.  Steering feedback is oh so positive, and its a hoot to throw around country roads, working the little 1.1 3-cyl through its rev-range :)

50+! Even dawdling on the m/way with just myself in the car I don't think I can get above 46mpg. Totally agree the 1.1 has 2 modes though, eco or rev the nuts off it. I've bumped into the limiter, which seems to come up to fast, a few times...

I've only had mine 5 months, the steering is nice and weighty for a small car and gives nice feedback. It's slow but to be expected with the smallest engine, as everybody who's driven a 1.1 it absolutely thrives on revs.
It is a lot more taxing to drive on a long journey than my old Saab, the steering is quite twitchy at speeds and road noise its pretty high. Again thats to be expected of a car this size and this old. I'd take it over a 453 any day, I hate the interior of the 453 and the RR layout is nullified by traction control nannying it.

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:09:42 PM »

cant say the 454 is any more taxing than any other car... i did do over 800 miles when i drove my 1.1 to south germany about 4/5 years back.
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

jmariog

• North London
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »

Love mine it's a great car, found mine very comfortable on 1500 mile round trip to France. I may be the only one but I like the AMT box not so much the gear changes which  will keep you awake on roundabouts as it waits to make up its mind to pick a gear. the 6 speed box is great and the gear ratios are great for the 1.5. Rust free,  and when I get round to fitting the paddle steering wheel it should be a bit better. There is some one who hates my car and that is a very cute Blue Tit that attacks my sunroof or wing mirrors most days I park in my drive, weird.
Cooper mini moke 0 to 40 5seconds 40 up weeks
BMW CSLi 'bat mobile', Alpine A310 v6,
Marcos Mantis 1976 v6, 454 Passion 1.5 AMT,
454 Passion 1.1, 454 Brabus