forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Quick question about keys  (Read 42187 times)

mituc

• Iasi, Romania
Re: Quick question about keys
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »

There are people using 2DIN navi touchscreen units (Dinavin) and with an extra adapter the steering wheel controls work as standard.

I'll PM @mituc and ask him to reply with his adapter model because he's recently installed his.

The CAN-BUS adapter box I'm using with the Dynavin DVN-SM2 unit is the one provided by Dynavin themselves for the Mercedes A Class (W169).
I purchased this unit from an eBay shop which is actually in Luxembourg, it was the only place I found on eBay where they still had it in stock. However, keep in mind that some shops may have the CANBUS adapter listed on the options/specifications list but they don't actually provide it (that's why I preferred not to give this shop a rating, because they were fine otherwise). Unless you have another source, I could provide you with the eBay shop name if anyone will request it.
I have no idea if another CANBUS adapter for the W169 platform would work because I don't know if the pin-out for the unit connector is different for each unit or if it's standard.

Fitting the unit with the extra CAN-BUS adapter box in there is pretty hard, but there's a spot in the left side under the unit where you can place the adapter without kinking the wires too much or stretching them.

The actual unit is nice and performs perfectly. Just make sure that when you connect the radio antenna you use the black connector coming from the car and pair it with the green connector on the unit.
The green connector coming from the car will have to remain unconnected. Here's some epic WIN caught on camera:

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »

They may look the same, but as far as I am aware a 'proper' replacement
ForFour key blade cut to suit is only available from MB Germany, and
they need the chassis/VIN number. Apparently no one else can cut them.

Not strictly true as there are now quite a few key cutting places with laser key cutting machines which can do the later 451 type keys, dimple keys, Ford type keys and edge mounted type like the forfour.

The machines start at about £500 though.

Thanks for the info, that sounds promising, there are a lot of cars now that have the same/similar style of blade so figured there must be places that could cut them, its only a piece of metal after all!

And..if you can master a way to get the steering wheel controls to operate
non Smart/MB audo head units then there are ample members who would
appreciate the info (if it is within the average owners capabilties), or if not,
then perhaps it could be a lucrative sideline for you for those that can't.

I have got a leather colt wheel on my forfour connected to my sony HU, does all the controls and can answer incoming phone calls too :)

I did do a post a while back but not sure where it is  :-\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:20:08 AM by CrazyG »

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Ok.............so i finally got round to programming the key, cutting shouldn't be a problem found a place for about £6-7.

The key won't program as its saying its already programmed to another car, i've got the battery out to try and reset it, any other ideas or a way to reset or blank the key?

the actual error;

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »

sounds like once a key is programmed to a car its programmed to that car... unless it can be divorced from the other car your stuck with a key shaped paper weight
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »

I refuse to believe that  ;)

The battery has been out for a few days so will try that when i get a chance or failing that a strong magnet by the transponder may throw it out.......

There must be some trick to reset or 'virginise' the sodding things!

Brabs

• 2x forfour, 1x 451, 1x Lomax 223 - Devon
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »

If it is 'flash' memory then removing the battery won't help. Think about a USB stick or SD card, they retain data even with no power.

:)
Open Your Mind... to a smart.
I did, to a generation 1 forfour 1.1 with 'Passion', a Silver generation 1 forfour 'Brabus' Xclusive and a fortwo 451 'night orange' edition ;~)

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »

The transponder which is used for the immobilizer doesnt need a battery its self powered using induction from the ignition but the lock/unlock code part is battery powered, they do say with keys to change the battery within so long as it can lose the coding and have heard of peoples keys losing coding after walking through those shop alarms, not sure how true that is though.

Im not sure which part (Transponder or Lock/Unlock) is read when attempting to recode the key, possibly both?

I've got a set of FLI's ready to go into my roadster i'm sure the magnet on those will be strong enough to freak it out if the battery removal is fruitless...... failing that i'll come up with another plan.....

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »

failing that i'll come up with another plan.....

like buying a new key ;)
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:02 PM »

failing that i'll come up with another plan.....

like buying a new key ;)

NEVER!!!!  :P

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »

A quick update, apparently the transponder can only be programmed to 1 car and is a one time thing from new and you cannot reset/blank/virginise the chip as yet. Basically you can't program a second hand key to another car........

However I'm working on something to get around this just waiting for parts to come and will update as soon as the work is done, hopefully if this does work you will be able to buy a 2nd hand key (Colt ones are cheaper!) and modify it slightly, get it programmed and done, saving a considerable amount off the merc cost.

This should also in theory work for fortwo's, roadsters and any car fob that shares the same transponder  8)

Fingers crossed!

FireFlower

• Enjoy motorsports & grill some sausages - Finland
How to make spare key?
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »

Yup... my number of keys is down to 1 (thanks to previous owner).

Checking around internet I didn't come to definite answer...

One says that only the Smart specific car dealers have means to program keys (need connection to MB for reprogramming). And the other one that key makers that have newest equipment can carve a new key and then are able to reprogram keys.

So is the number 1 my only option? It is about 300€ cost for one key... 220€ for key and 50€ for reprogramming
ForFour Passion (manual) 1330cm3 RON95/E85 2006, no factory extras

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: How to make spare key?
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »

yes(ish)

see the posts on getting a colt key and trying to sort it out.

JJ

F4B

• France
Re: How to make spare key?
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 11:59:44 PM »

2 years ago it cost me less than €150 at a smart dealership. I had to produce my ID and proof of registration.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 12:22:28 AM »

topics merged

JJ
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7