Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mpg  (Read 25729 times)

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
Re: Mpg
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »

CLICK HERE for full size image

This is my own MPG calculator, a simple Excel spreadsheet.

I've expanded the equations for the columns that have them, simply adjust the formulas at line 1, and fill down (don't forget to remove the " " marks).

I've set the coloured cells in the MPG coloumn to be green, turning red when the result is under 32.0 (I might need to adjust that with this car!) and the cells in the PPM column, and next to AVG MPG and AVG PPM as red, changing to green above 32 on MPG, and below 0.18 on PPM (again need to adjust this based on the current price of fuel, and my car's typical MPG).

EDIT: Look how nice I am - I made a blank version for you.  http://www.funkydoodycool.co.uk/cars/forfour/mpg_ffcu.xlsx - This one shows green when the MPG is above 30.0, and the PPM is under 22.  You can edit that to whatever you want to for your car by changing the conditional formatting for the cells.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:56:01 AM by funkydoodycool »

------

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »

since buying my forfour (with the 1.1 engine) in 2011 (30/04/2011) i have averaged over 15164 miles 43.07 MPG, highest reading iv got is 53.64 MPG (did 590 miles on that tank, majority motorway driving at 60 MPH), and the lowest iv got is 35.99 MPG (did 379 miles o that tank, possibly peddle to the metal driving). im contemplating selling it and buying a CDI as im doing roughly 50 miles (give or take 10 miles dependinf on route i take to get to work) a day but what is putting me off is the insurance and how much extra i would pay.
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »

thats what compare the market is for :)

just try it out...

and email msm

JJ

Scoobysook

• SW London
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »

Your mph is good. If you do change to a cdi in real world terms how much would you save- you need to do the sums. Eg cost of selling your car and buying the cdi, servicing costs, tax cost, unleaded vs diesel cost too.

I like my cdi, averaging 50mpg at mo, best of 60 so far since getting it. So let's say difference of your average to my average is 10-12mpg.

Conundrums hey! As I'm sure JJ would suggest- get the Brabus. but I'm sure you will love the torque and love the cdi lots if you get it. Hope that helps.

Great spreadsheet funky!

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »

haha - acyually, i would say get the cdi, add brab bits and remap! thats what i would do now......

JJ

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:17 AM »

Mr Singh, wise words from Scoobysook there....
You may not make any savings overall if you changed now to a CDi....
Work it out and then decide.   Then add to that the fact that you know
your lovely lill 1.1 inside out, and it may be kind of hard to find a low
mileage CDi, that has all the bits on it you want.....that's not to say
you won't of course. (Get a manual though if you do, irrespective of
the semi auto having a more frugal 6 speed gearbox).   
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 10:43:08 AM »

Insurance companies reward you for having a car for longer, you lose this if you buy a new car and have to start over - according to MSM.

Just something else to consider.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.

funkydoodycool

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »

Very interesting Fox... I'd never known that.

------

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »

im not bothered about how many miles the CDI would have, mine had 62/63K when i bought it (it was 5 years old so it should have had 50,000 on the clock), i say that a 'average mileage diesel' should have double the mileage according to the age, e.g. a 5 year old diesel should have 100,000 miles on it, but one thing id like is the passion model or a spec'd up pulse.
i think its the lack of lowdown torque of the 1.1, i really want more in gear go

im already paying £900 for unlimited mileage insurance with MSM with the smart club discount
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:06:09 PM by mr singh »
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

Scoobysook

• SW London
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »

I think by the sounds of it you want a better spec 44 with the cdi engine for the torque. Fair does then, it is a good car as you know and the cdi engine suits it. I found the engine to be not overly noisy and not sound like a run of the mill diesel, but a nice thrum. I have driven a 1.3 and a 1.5 before - both were good but required revving

I wanted a cdi as I can do some miles and get better economy then the for2 700cc I had before. And it it does so without needing to try as hard. I was unsure if I would beable to find a low mileage diesel at a reasonable price but I did. There are lots out there with below average miles at good prices. Luckily the 44 cdi does not seem to have got rinsed like all the other diesels of that vintage- try finding a low mileage diesel VAG offering for under 4k.

kanapa1

• Now in my car nothing from MB. (Poland)
    • http://www.smartklub.pl/
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »

If it really worries you, clean your TVA, replace the M.A.P sensor and the Lambda sensors and then get a new exhaust, a lot of power can be lost because of old exhausts, particularly the CAT which is unfortunately the most expensive part.

To do all this will cost you around £650 but you will restore some of that MPG, not all of it however.

Use good quality 95 ron fuel too, like BP or Shell. 

Today i have 38 MPG :) (speed 75 mph on highway). - solution was new Lambda Sond. 
Old sond give only one info for the SAM.
Now 454 Brab Titan and 451 Limited Three, ex 454 1,5 Passion, ex 450 599cc from 1999.
http://www.smartklub.pl/   Face Mar Kana

funkydoodycool

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »

Today i have 38 MPG :) (speed 75 mph on highway). - solution was new Lambda Sond. 
Old sond give only one info for the SAM.

Glad you solved that - relatively simple fix too!

------

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

I've not heard of being rewarded for keeping a car before..... Loyalty to a provider does happen but it's invariably cancelled out by the general rise in premiums :)

JJ

funkydoodycool

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »

I've not heard of being rewarded for keeping a car before..... Loyalty to a provider does happen but it's invariably cancelled out by the general rise in premiums :)

JJ

You could be extra cynical and say you've not heard of being rewarded by insurers full stop.  They always find a way to get ya.  I've never claimed, even on a couple of hard knocks, because I would claimed, had to pay the first £300 anyway, got £500 from them, and lost way more in NCD over the coming years PLUS they load your premiums just for being more "accident-prone".

------

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

That invariably happens, but then again it could be higher without said discount. I was told about this by MSM when looking into changing my car. I guess it's because you look after the car and service it to keep it on the road rather than just kicking it to the kerb when it goes wrong or crashing and dumping then buying new without notifying insurance.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4