forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mpg  (Read 25735 times)

K80POO

Mpg
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:47 PM »

So, as I was near a petrol station that had rather cheap petrol, and worked out that I have done about 39mpg on the current tank. 
I have to say that I have been putting my foot down a tad as playing with Oogley, so not too bothered about the mpg being lower than expected a little, but what do you guys get from yours?
Kate :)

New to Smart, should have got one years ago!

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
Re: Mpg
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:07:44 PM »

In a Brabus... I CAN get 40mpg if I drive like I'm in a Honda Jazz.

Normally, I average around 25mpg without trying to save fuel, and the occasional overtaking of a BMW.

------

K80POO

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »

Don't feel so bad then  ;D

nomad8459

• Jack Black Is Funny!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »

That's pretty good for the 1.5 and if you have been playing with your throttle. At its worst my 1.3 will give 35mpg and at its best around 45 mpg, the official statistics won't give you the full story as the cars are getting older and the ability of the parts to maintain there efficiency reduces. The pistons gradually wear down causing a loss of compression, the drive shafts rub causing little slips, the sensors aren't as good at detecting which affects the ECU and its ability to maintain efficient timing.

It all adds up to less MPG, but bear in mind an old Astra may be doing about 20-25 mpg and your doing ok.

SMART ForFour 1.3i 16V Mivec Soft-touch Passion in Jack Black and Silver - Bobster

funkydoodycool

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »

Yup.  My (at the time) 10-year-old Primera 2.0 averaged 20mpg, and on a long, steady motorway run got 30.

Hence I can justify the Brabus, which gives better MPG, and does so much more with it!

------

nomad8459

• Jack Black Is Funny!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »

If it really worries you, clean your TVA, replace the M.A.P sensor and the Lambda sensors and then get a new exhaust, a lot of power can be lost because of old exhausts, particularly the CAT which is unfortunately the most expensive part.

To do all this will cost you around £650 but you will restore some of that MPG, not all of it however.

Use good quality 95 ron fuel too, like BP or Shell.
SMART ForFour 1.3i 16V Mivec Soft-touch Passion in Jack Black and Silver - Bobster

K80POO

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

If it really worries you, clean your TVA, replace the M.A.P sensor and the Lambda sensors and then get a new exhaust, a lot of power can be lost because of old exhausts, particularly the CAT which is unfortunately the most expensive part.

To do all this will cost you around £650 but you will restore some of that MPG, not all of it however.

Use good quality 95 ron fuel too, like BP or Shell.

???

Think that I am happy with what I have I think lol

nomad8459

• Jack Black Is Funny!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »

Hehe, I would say that your doing ok. ;)

LadyV

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

I've never actually worked out the MPG in my car...

I figured if I can put £25.00 at an average cost of £1.35 per litre I can get from my house to the office (35 miles) to my dads (11 miles) back to the office (11 miles) and home again (35 miles) then I have done alright!

That is my weekend commute.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »

22-24mpg on the BRAB - ALL town driving :)

JJ

musmart

• London
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »

22-24mpg on the BRAB - ALL town driving :)

JJ

100mspg- smile per gallon. LOL

funkydoodycool

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:26 PM »

I had this dream where JJ had that slogan on his car.  Probably in orange.

------

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »

Highest mpg I achieved in my 1332cc auto was 60mpg, lowest 42mpg (tread pattern was low) and now at her grand old age (7y/o by plate or 8y/o DOB) and high miles (92500 miles) she avgerages out at 45mpg. Very rarely do I drop below 40mpg, on my commute I rarely go above 65mph circa 2500rpm - even accelerating I keep the revs below 3000rpm. Boring I know but with ever increasing fuel prices and the distance I drive there's no point driving fast, you get there when you get there is my attitude.

To get decent mpg: remove unnecessary weight, regular servicing, oil & coolant check, tyre pressure & condition check and driving consistantly without over revving the engine.
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

Big Dunc

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »

In contrast to JJ, I have a regular run made up of half A/B roads and half motorway / duel carriage way.  No regular "stationary" traffic, but more often than not the A/B roads are a 40 to 50 mph traffic jam and the motorway / duel carriage way is 60 to 70 mph traffic jam.  I try and leave enough gap from the car in front to not have to brake.

In such conditions, 33 mpg is typical.  I would consider mid 20s to be "normal" when traffic allows extensive use of the loud peddle or even overtaking.

Both figures are better than the previous motor, but not as good as when I borrow "Little Miss Duncs" diesel which produces more power than the Brabus with its current exhaust manifold. 

Harllequin

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:41:09 PM »

Well we have just had our first fill up with Arkwright and with the heavy right foot of 'Her who must be obayed' it gave a nice return of 50MPG :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4