forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Forfour nice'ities and funny noise  (Read 6899 times)

sasuke

Forfour nice'ities and funny noise
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »

Hi,

Had the Forfour for around a couple of months now I think. Has been a really great car so far, not had a car that doesn't rattle (especially after sorting the sunroof rattle)! Really cosy and relaxing drive (semi-auto tip and steering wheel controls) and very clever too (computer gives me warning of black ice when it dips below 3 oC, the 'light your way home' feature is so cool) and changing the side light bulb is such a doddle.

This morning I had a weird thing happen when I came off a roundabout there was squeeling noise (sounded like something rubbing metal, like wheel bearings), didn't feel any difference to the way the car drove. I then turned left at a junction and the sound disappeared. I wasn't sure wherever it was to do with me turning right off the roundabout, the sound coming on and then turning left and something re-aligning itself so the noise went. Or if it was because the car changed gears so the noise was something to do with the gearbox. I drove about 5 more minutes after this and there was no noise again.

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
Re: Forfour nice'ities and funny noise
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »

Wait n see if it does it again over the next few days.....
If nothing, then possibly a tiny stone got thrown up between the disc brake
and the pads and that was the squeal....
If it comes back, then see if it only happens when you turn left and then goes away
if you turn right...or vice versa. If that is the case then it could be a CV Joint or even
a wheel bearing.
It's hard to hazard a guess till it happens again/more often.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

sasuke

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

Well I drove 30 miles and no noise, so I'm really hoping it was just a stone or something that got trapped and then dislodged. Thanks crazyg

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

it could have just been a belt squeel - mine has just started doing it for 1 or 2 secs either on start up or 39seconds later due to the moisture in the air/rain so it could have just been that!

JJ

mr singh

• Global Moderator
  • Leeds
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »

This morning I had a weird thing happen when I came off a roundabout there was squeeling noise (sounded like something rubbing metal, like wheel bearings), didn't feel any difference to the way the car drove. I then turned left at a junction and the sound disappeared. I wasn't sure wherever it was to do with me turning right off the roundabout, the sound coming on and then turning left and something re-aligning itself so the noise went.

i have a similar problem from the r/h/f. it happens when im putting load on the r/f corner when turning left and now and then when im going straight.
i removed and regreased the front pads and the noise is still there. ill put up with it untill service
Fortwo MK3 (2007-2010) Top speed 85 MPH. maxed* 98 MPH
Forfour 1.1 (2010-2015) Top speed 103 MPH. maxed* 110 MPH
Forfour 1.5 SB3 (2015>) Top speed 118 MPH. maxed* 122 MPH
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (11/21-06/22) never to be maxed
Jaguar XF S 3.0TDV6 (07/22>) Top speed 155MPH

*maxed in Germany

sasuke

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »

thanks for advice guys, so far I've not had the sound again after many miles of driving, so the stone getting stuck and then dislodged it probably the closiest to what happened but will continue to keep an eye on it.

I can't believe it's been a few months since I've had the car that I only just realised it has an rear interior light! I just checked mine out and it didn't have a bulb in it. Just fitted it now and its all good and working. Yey can see in the boot now!

Big Dunc

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »

No bulb in it at all?

Hopefully the last owner removed it so (s)he knew what to buy, then never got round to completing the job. 

However, there may be a darker reason (forgive the pun) there was no bulb, such as it staying on when it shouldnt or similar.  At least in this case, it will be obvious the light is on. 

I once discovered a missing boot light bulb (not on a hatch back) and felt really pleased with myself when I replaced it.  Shortly after, the car started to suffer from random flat batteries.  I spent ages trying to cure this (including a new battery) until one day I remembered the boot light bulb.  It was randomly not switching off, and when the car was left for more than a few days.....  The fault was actualy an intermitent switch, but the last owner had "curred" it by removing the bulb.

sasuke

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »

ooh interesting, I will keep an eye on the electrics. Thanks for the heads up!