forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Puncture Repairable Yes or No?  (Read 13090 times)

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: Puncture Repairable Yes or No?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »

If you are getting rid if the tyre - please can I have it?

It will save you disposal and I'll pay the postage.

PM me and I'll let you have my address

JJ

gregk2

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »

I'm going to take it somewhere else at the weekend who i think will repair it.  ;D
Brabus Forfour

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »

Well keep me in mind ;)

JJ

basilbrush

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »

I found this paragraph poking about on the internet so I shall  paste it below..

2. How close is the hole to the edge of the tread? You can measure with your thumb. If the hole is closer than a thumbs width away from the edge of the tread it is not safe to have it repaired. The reason for this is that a proper plug&patch combo repair required that some of the interior rubber in the tire be ground down and scraped off to assure a smooth surface for the patch to adhere to. The closer you are to the edge of the tread, the more shallow the rubber surface is as it meets the sidewall of the tire.

Tyres in most cases aren't that expensive these days and why risk a possible devastating blow out for the sake of a few quid.

gregk2

• Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »

I found this paragraph poking about on the internet so I shall  paste it below..

2. How close is the hole to the edge of the tread? You can measure with your thumb. If the hole is closer than a thumbs width away from the edge of the tread it is not safe to have it repaired. The reason for this is that a proper plug&patch combo repair required that some of the interior rubber in the tire be ground down and scraped off to assure a smooth surface for the patch to adhere to. The closer you are to the edge of the tread, the more shallow the rubber surface is as it meets the sidewall of the tire.

Tyres in most cases aren't that expensive these days and why risk a possible devastating blow out for the sake of a few quid.

225 35 17's are a pretty odd size and don't come too cheap so it's a bit more than a few quid, but i see what you're saying.
Brabus Forfour

basilbrush

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »

Blackcircles £110 okay a bit of a blow, but it happened to me on Corsa when I was driving and hadn't realised rear tyre was punctured. There was a groove round the sidewall where the rim had pressed in. £125 to get a matching Conti, but when motoring s**t happens I'm afraid.
Best get a new tyre or it'll be nagging at the back of your mind.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »

Again - get some tyre seal stuff and when you take the nail out it will be sealed.

Not sure why this is classed as safe and other methods aren't .

Again comes down to British Standards and who knows who decided where could and couldn't be repaired.....for every tyre type, brand etc.

Tyre shops just take the easy quick sale and we accept it!!

JJ

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »

basilbrush

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

Not sure why this is classed as safe and other methods aren't

JJ

And who is classing these products as safe? The manufacturers of it obviously. A lot of research goes into these British Standards and going against it all on the basis of a bit of cost saving is not wise in my view. According to the AA the preinstalled type of sealant and the stow in the boot get you home type are both temporary repairs. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/tyre-repairs-and-sealants.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:06:36 PM by basilbrush »

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »

Well given the point of the sealants is that you don't know you've got a puncture as it seals straight away I'm not sure how it's any more temporary than a garage fitted one!

One garage chain makes the hole bigger to fit the plug.... How's that safe?? And all of this is done by the guys that haven't even professed to exhaust fitting!!

Plus - tyre garages make good money from old tyres. Try calling them for 1 to make into a swing. They won't give you one. They charge you to "dispose" of them and then a company pays for them so they can go off and recycle them ;)

JJ

basilbrush

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »

Well they say you should check your tyres weekly for tell tale signs of sealant leakage so you know that the tyre has been penetrated. If you see a nail head you would want to remove it and not leave it to maybe "work" it's way out at some stage. Then the sensible course of action would be to get a proper repair done.

They make the hole bigger to get a better fit to the plug and then the internal flange is vulcanised to make a well sealed patch inside the casing. With the old external kits you used to fit plugs with a metal hooked spike you also had to make the hole bigger. I used them years ago on crossply tyres when they were thought to be a safe repair, but that's all changed now.

I can understand why they wouldn't give you one for a swing. People have paid for disposal, they have to account for them, they're under a legal obligation to dispose of them properly. They couldn't give anybody something to take away without a waste disposal licence and you could be an environment agency plant. Tyre disposal is a funny business and there are dumps all over the country with thousands of tyres with little hope of recycling. Just look at the fires that make the news together with the criminal gangs that flytip lorry loads of tyres. Would anybody do that if there was big money in actual proper legal recycling.

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »

http://www.westerntyres.co.uk/tyre-recycling.htm

puncture prevention..

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?menu=wheels&mod=565

i still see nothing wrong with the kits :) but obviously use them at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCdAdxtfIX8

JJ
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:02:31 PM by Problemchild »

basilbrush

Re: Help needed with Stiff Gear HOW2 Guide
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »

Yeah watched the video, but he's demonstrating it as a get you home repair if you have a puncture in the middle of nowhere. That is horrifying to watch and if anybody would dare use that for use as a permanent repair they're asking for trouble  :o

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »

It's v similar to how a proper repair is done though.

Make the hole suitable for filling.
Add plug.
Trim.

The only difference is adding the covering patch at the back.

The vulcanising glue bonds the tyre and rubber plug together as 1.

Like the titanium laser deposition of materials onto aircraft fan blades. Just fill the "hole" and use a process that bonds the 2 materials as 1.

We've used vulcanising glue on inner tubes for years and the patch is always the strongest part.

JJ
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:22:40 PM by Problemchild »

basilbrush

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 07:34:20 PM »

Sorry mate I have to disagree. With the external kit there is nothing to fix the plug within the casing and there will be no way of checking that the "glue" in the tread has taken correctly and made a secure repair. The correct covering patch vulcanised to the casing is the proper repair.
Pages: 1 [2] 3