forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brabus 0-60 attempts  (Read 17326 times)

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
Re: Brabus 0-60 attempts
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

The only problem with removing the rear seats is the tremendous amount of road noise that gets into the cabin. In rain, my old micra sounded like a thunderstorm inside. I'm sure a bit of noise damping padding could help improve this, but it's something to consider before you all go taking your seats out.

Also consider where you'll store them...

------

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

And without a backseat there is nothing to keep the luggage in the boot. So everything comes dangerously fast towards your head when you brake. And the little bits get in the rear feet-vents. I found that when taking my backseat out to modify the hinges for greater incline range because they are too vertical to properly enjoy the lounge concept.

And yes, road noise is a lot greater, and i don't think sound deadening completely cure the problem, because lots of noise comes from the tailgate area as well. And it would add weight, which you were trying to remove in the first place.

k146

• My name is Kyle Garrett
    • Ian Garrett Building Design Ltd
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

I have heard that most 0-60 times on the more powerful cars are started in second gear with higher revs to eliminate gear changes. I'm not sure if this is true or not though.
54 REG 1.5cdi Red and Silver Passion - Was 68bhp now about 95bhp at the wheels, ITG filter, Aux Lead, dash pods, luggage cover, lowered, arm rest ...............
&
58 REG ZX6R Ninja Black - 117.5bhp at the rear wheel, Quill Exhaust, Tail Tidy, Rear Hugger, Seat Cowl .......

mozilla

• there is only one
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »

Never heard that 2nd gear rapid start theory. I would bet the 0-60 would be faster if the brab had a 6 speed box as it 'feels' like there is big gap when going from gears 1 to 2.
I know the smart team use a forfour brabus in britcars but i dont think we can honestly call what is a essentially a front wheel drive supermini chassis as 'best handling car'. Taking rear seats out would make the car really front heavy, good for lift off over steer on the track but I would find it a bit too dangerous for the road. Coilovers are quite expensive arent they... How do they work?

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

6-speed wouldn't help the brab - 2nd gear just about gets 62mph, which is the only chance of seeing 6.9s. If you had shorter changes, you'd have to change twice.

Removing rear seats isn't going to make it dangerous, we're only talking a few kilos at the end of the day, maybe around 50kg.

------

mituc

• Iasi, Romania
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »

Managed a 6.5s for 0-100Kmph (0-105kmph on the speedo). I shifted into 3rd at almost 110Kmph on the speedo. The long gearing definitely helps with this.
The reason for the pretty low time is the fact that my summer setup is with 16" wheels and 205/45/r16 tires (michelin PS3 XL). The heavier 17" wheels will definitely set the times back a bit.

mozilla

• there is only one
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »

Based on gps speed? How did you log the time

Fast Eddy

• Norwich
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »

The Brabus is not the best at standing starts.  The traction control is very effective/useful in normal driving, but intrusive from standstill.  I think I read somewhere that the Brabus has some sort of power limiter or something in 1st gear.  Anyone else confirm.  I had a play with an Ep3 Type r recently and was a pretty even match so I would also say that the Parkers figures are correct although I would say that run on run would not be that consistent.
I am running mine with no rear seats at the moment as I am at Cadwell Park this Sunday and it makes a nice difference to performance on track as I recon they weigh 60KG+.  Handling is not noticeably impaired with the seats out and as already said it allows a little oversteer if required.  I tried taking the toolkit. spare wheel and carpet out and it made the rear too twitchy as they are so close to the rear axle so I put them back and control was resumed.
These cars come into their own once they are rolling with a great power/torque delivery through much of the rev range like G says.
The biggest problem I have now is keeping myself in the seat around corners lol.

Brabus

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 09:59:26 PM »

If you get the launch right it's quite effective :)

I'm just having clutch slip above about 4000rpm and in higher gears.

I think the cold makes the clutch material less "adhesive" there is more bhp from the cold air and I'm v gentle on the clutch (hardly any slip on hill starts etc) and my journeys are short so I get no heat into it.

Add to that 210bhp into a clutch made for a 150bhp colt t doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why there is a bit of slip.

Anyone else experiencing similar??

Oh - and as for the BRABUS, I think I was told that the car has 2 distinct maps.... 1 for first and 2nd and another for the other gears.

JJ

mozilla

• there is only one
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »

Need a anti lift kit ;)
Pages: 1 [2]