forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ForFour Farewell?  (Read 5899 times)

TD84

• London
ForFour Farewell?
« on: August 09, 2022, 04:06:34 PM »

I've been the proud owner of a 2005 Smart ForFour 1.3 Passion (AMT) for about six or so years now but the combination of rising fuel costs, my area becoming a LTN and not really having any regular need for a car has placed me in a situation where I can't really afford to keep throwing money at it to sit parked for 98% of the time. Over the past few years getting it through the MOT has been expensive and I think I've hit the point where I have to consider it a sunk cost fallacy. The MOT runs out in September and I suspect it'll cost quite a lot to keep it on the road for another year. It's a shame because I have sentimental attachment and it's been a terrific little workhorse for me.

Despite it having had a lot of new parts over the past couple of years (including a new stereo, new front speakers, new tyres, new brake lines, newish battery, new fuel pump etc), there are somehow still a comical number of things wrong with it. There is sometimes a bizarre noise whenever you turn left, which can become a crescendo and then abruptly vanish (this is a mystery to absolutely everyone, several professionals have tried and failed to work it out). There is always an engine warning light and it isn't apparent what for. The rear wiper has seized up. Every so often it won't engage reverse for no readily apparent reason. The interior light was broken when I got it and still is, despite various attempts to fix it. There are some scuffs and scrapes as you might expect from a working car that has been driven in London over the past few years.

As is probably obvious, I'm bad with cars and I can't tell whether I should just accept that it's time to scrap it. I think it's done a bit over 100k now but I've seen people keep them for another 50k or more. I can't justify the expense of renewing the MOT given everything wrong with it but I'm sad to think of it being scrapped if it could potentially be a decent enough run-around/project for somebody if they particularly liked Smart ForFours. It has the FSH and it drives well enough despite the issues mentioned above. My old man was in the trade and I would have asked him buy sadly he passed on earlier this year. This forum has always been an invaluable source of advice so I was wondering what anyone thinks? Time to let it go?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:05:59 AM by CrazyG »

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
Re: ForFour Farewell?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 10:39:31 AM »

It'll be a shame to see you go...but if you feel that now is the time, then so be it.

May I ask a couple of questions though ?
1/ Reference the engine management light being on. Has the car regularly been serviced or
    checked over by a garage with a Star diagnostics; or a generic one that is capable of reading
    fault codes correctly ? That would give the data to accurately identify why the light is on.
    It may well be that until the fault is remedied; and the electronics reset via a Star or similar
    generic diagnostic; that the light will stay on.

2/ Enagaging reverse in an AMT is often a niggling problem with the 454.  Invariably is down
    to the clutch actuator not being reset at least once a year (at service time) on the Star
    diagnostics..OR...an old and weary actuator that is nearing its end of  life.  Too expensive
    to replace if sourced from MB/Smart...cheaper by half to buy a genuine Sachs replacement
    on ebay.  Search for part A4542570579 or 3981000067, or MN900584 or SMN900584.

3/ Rear window wiper motors are not cheap from MB/Smart either....over £200 in fact.
    NEW aftermarket replacements can be found on ebay for about £50...I know as I bought
    a couple myself for one of my 454's and my daughters 454.  A Guide is on here to assist
    anyone who needs to fix or replace their motor if it seizes...usually through lack of use,
    but mainly lack of lubrication !

4/ As for the bizarre noise when turning left...hmmmm ?  If it has passed every MoT without
    any Advisories or failures then one can assume that it's not a major suspension or drive
    shaft issue.  There can be the odd occasion where the flap in the inner wheel arch panel
    that permits access to the bulb in the headlight dip/low beam not being closed properly
    or has somehow become dislodged and popped open...the flap will then get hit or scraped
    by the tyre when the wheel turns or the suspension is compressed.
    Easily rectified if the flap is not torn off, clip it back in place... or if badly damaged you can
    replace it with a piece of plastic (larger than the opening) drilled thru at each corner and
    then zip tied into place.

BUT..besides all that, I commend you for wishing to see it continue to be used rather
than scrapped. Someone may have the know how and the parts to get it back up to spec
and enjoy it for another 50K more miles or so.
So...why not copy and paste this post (all or some of it) into the ForSale section ...
be sure to put a price on it please...and who knows...someone may just grab a bargain.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:46:14 AM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]