forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Sachs 'Sports chassis' Dampers and H&R Lowering Springs  (Read 5815 times)

aza

• Norfolk

As I needed new dampers all round (originals on the rear after 140k miles!) I thought I'd take the opportunity to swap out the Spax lowering springs I'd run for the past 3 years for a set of lovely new H&R springs.  I wanted the Michelak springs Rob at S2 had for sale but I'm miles from London by the time I'd added shipping to them the H&R's made financial sense.

They've all been fitted for two weeks with around 600 miles covered on A and B roads and I can report that the changes have made so much difference to the way the car drives and handles.  I'm running the same Brabus Monoblocks with low profile tyres but the car is much less crashy, no longer dives (being a heavier diesel 'n' all) and corners like it should it the dry and wet.

Overall I am pleased with the results and will be keeping her for a while longer!
Highest MPG - 83.2!

Scoobysook

• SW London
Re: New Sachs 'Sports chassis' Dampers and H&R Lowering Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »

That sounds great. A good result. Where did you get the bits from?

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:40:17 AM »

Forgive me for suggesting that the biggest contributing factor
to the change quality is down to the new shock absorbers....
although I can confirm that the new springs will make the car
sit about 1/2 higher until they too sag or settle down over a
period of time to the same ride height as your old Spax springs.

If ever we get to meet up, I'll let you in on something that
'those in the know' know about lowering springs.  ;)
(I'll not dicsuss it on the forum though... :( )
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

aza

• Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 09:48:02 AM »

I bought the all the dampers and springs online, surprisingly the H&R springs I found on Amazon which I'd added to Basket to purchase later.  A couple of days later I received a notification they'd been reduced from £145 to £100 so I snapped them up!  Most online sellers are retailing them at £150+ with some selling nearer £200 for the set.

I've had new dampers on the front before (after the originals started leaking) with the Spax springs but the ride does feel different from that set-up.

They were all fitted locally by long-term friend of the family's garage, who does our MoT's, brakes etc.

Like many items, I know springs are made by just one or two main manufactures and 'branded' -  power-coated in differing colours according to the brand i.e. Spax - red, FK - green, etc. 
Highest MPG - 83.2!