forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Brittania Rescue  (Read 5812 times)

99%chimp

• Warrington
Brittania Rescue
« on: May 29, 2014, 04:48:02 AM »

Hi Everyone,

About to renew my breakdown cover and had an offer from the bank (Nationwide) which bundled cover with Brittania Rescue as part of a current account upgrade.

I've never heard of them but have seen some positive reviews.  Anyone have any experience with them? 

In truth I've not had to call anyone out for a good 7/8 years - I'm mainly concerned about recovery if something serious happens far away from home.  Also hoping to drive to Italy later in the year and Euro cover is bundled.

Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum, that'll just be my newbie-ness showing.  :)
Ex owner, lurking with intent

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: Brittania Rescue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »

Britannia are very good - had been with them for a long time before I discovered quidco and changed every year ;)

Just be wary with the "free" cover from banks.

First had a blow out in my fortwo (rate tyre size) and I found out it only had roadside assist. So paid to upgrade to recovery (cost almost as much as a new policy) and then when the zafira broke down a few years later, the RAC hadn't renewed the add on so was back to roadside assist and had to pay £500 for a tow.

Make sure you know what you are getting for free.

JJ

basilbrush

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:29:12 AM »

Bang on JJ and here's a thread from way back on just that subject 99%chimp http://www.forfour.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1953.0
Breakdown services these days are insurance policies unlike the RAC and AA which have dedicated patrols. Loads of people can tell horror stories of the RAC and AA leaving you stranded at the roadside for hours. The insurance companies take your money for years and you only find out how good they are when you make a claim.
I'm with Autonational Rescue and have been with them for years. £66 per year for total service, recovery, roadside assist and home start. Called them out twice over the years for non starting issues at home and very quickly attended to by a big local garage.

99%chimp

• Warrington
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:15:50 AM »

Thanks guys - sounds advice of course to read the fine print.  From what I can see on the policy document it's the UK Recovery & Home Assist + Euro cover bundled too.  Gonna call the bank to confirm though. 

I've been with green flag the last 4 years and never used them.

Thread about the AA made me chuckle a little...  I very long time ago I did actually spend a few months temping at their breakdown call centre in Cheadle.  Dreadful, dreadful company would never give my business to them.   ;)
Ex owner, lurking with intent