forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: multi functional steering wheel  (Read 15481 times)

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
Re: multi functional steering wheel
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »

As already said by Problemchild, it would be nice if limited one could give a full run down
on his retrofitted steering wheel, and exactly what it can or cannot do....and if it runs a non
Smart HU.   .............

I sent off a PM to Dieter (limited one) asking him about his retro fitted MF steering wheel
and he kindly came back with the following information....(I'l make no excuses....I've had to
correct some of the grammar)
So I can not drive on the radio from the steering wheel. I can only switch through all the functions
of the board computer. So, water temperature, fuel consumption, current fuel consumption, etc.
I just needed to loosen the Torx bolt holding the air bag and loosen the bolt to the nut of the hub.
Besides the steering wheel, the slip ring to the terminal for the Mufu is needed.
All the functions of the on board computer worked right after installation, otherwise it would be
necessary to activate the function via the OBD Mufu.

So, there we have it. Dieter has a non Smart HU, and only the on board computer works thru
the wheel. There is no guarantee that if you had a Smart HU that it would work it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:07:10 PM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »

Today i picked my steering wheel up and me likey, have took the button assembly apart and have worked out roughly how im going to wire it up. In theory it 'should' work so just need to get some bits tomorrow and give it a go. Im just hoping after all the work the airbag and horn connections are the same!!

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »

Good luck with it...we'll be watching and waiting to hear (and see) how you get on.  ;D

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »

Just finished stage 1, after fitting my armrest (which is awesome by the way! brill guide as well so thanks G for that) I made sure the new steering wheel fitted and it does see below:

It's taken from a 2011 Colt CZ2, I am just keeping fingers crossed the airbag/horn connectors fit and the airbag is compatible with the ecu (cross that bridge when i come to it!)

I have taken the left cluster of buttons apart down to the circuit board and wired into the buttons to cut out all the on board resistors:

My next visit will be to maplins to purchase some bits then I can continue.
I also took the slip ring apart which has 5 wires in the ribbon, currently only 3 are being used by the horn and airbag so im hoping to nick one of these and ride it to the stereo :)

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »

Quick update, managed to get the power on/off to work remotely through the wheel controls, need some different resistors to get other functions working *hopefully* :)

cosminnedelcu

• Be Smart ! Be U !
    • SMARTFAN
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

a big like for your knowledge
Air is drawn into the cylinder of a diesel engine and compressed by the rising piston at a much higher compression ratio than for a spark-ignition engine, up to 25:1. The air temperature reaches 700-900 C, or 1300-1650 F.

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »

Success!!!
Just wired up and tested the mode button on the steering wheel to function as the source button and works a treat! The principal is the same for the other commands and need to tidy up my wiring but should have full functionality using multifunction controls.
Had to make a slight modification to the circuit board with my friend stanley (knife).
When I get time to do the job properly I will document as best I can if peeps would like a how to, this would however be specific to the wheel I have and Sony stereos but the same basic principal would remain.

CrazyG

• Administrator
    • S2smarts
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »

...When I get time to do the job properly I will document as best I can if peeps would like a how to, this would however be specific to the wheel I have and Sony stereos but the same basic principal would remain.
I think it would be appreciated by quite a few peops.....

Have you thought about 'offering' an upgrade/exchange service to anyone who has a wheel
and wants theirs converted....or gets one and fancies it done ?
it could be worthwhile....and you know you wouldn't be flooded with potential customers,
so no real pressure or hassle.....done as n when you want or have time sort of thing.

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »

Managed to get the volume, skip track and mode functions working last night. Once the job is completed and fully fitted I'll post a guide.

If anyone would want this upgrade performing I would be interested to know

Will keep you posted

funkydoodycool

• Life's short and too hard like a body-building elf
    • funkydoodycool's website
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »

Kudos for your electrical knowledge. I've always been in awe of how such simple components affecting the flow of electricity can create the magic that leads to radios and computers etc...

So I'm impressed with your understanding of them.

------

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 09:07:19 AM »

I have had to put this on pause for a little bit, mainly due to my lack of research! The airbag on the new wheel is a dual stage airbag and there not cheap! Oops.....

I should be able to get one and get a new clock spring as they look the same, either that or i can get just the airbag cover and try to mod the airbag out of my smart wheel to fit into it, both of which are a cost which I cant cover just yet (going on hol next week)

This mod does work though and you can get multifunction controls to work with aftermarket stereos, provided your stereo supports it!

djames108

• Oldham
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »

Just another quick thought:
If you could find a small flexible thin button pad perhaps they could be attached to the back of the wheel for people who dont have a multifunction wheel, anything with buttons will work so if anyone finds something suitable ill have a bash!
Pages: 1 [2]