forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will it be a good idea to get a used 2005 smart forfour???  (Read 7163 times)

shrimpy

Will it be a good idea to get a used 2005 smart forfour???
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:49:55 AM »

Hi all,

I want to know, how is the performance from a 2005 SMART forfour W454, and how much do i need to pay to maintain such car??

the model is 2005 W454
the kilometeres is 58,000
transmission is 6 speed semi-auto
Engine is a 4 cylinder Premium Unleaded Multi-point injected 1.3L (1332cc)

I love the design of smart, and recently want to buy a used for myself.
mainly use for going to work, drive around the city, or maybe from time to time will have a short trip within 100KM.

The main issue i am worrying about is the engine, after 6 years old, will it be strong enough to run another 2 or three year?

I browse from the forum, lots of the people mention about the door and some other issues.
Does it mean an old smart forfour will cause a lots of trouble, will need to pay a lot to maintain it?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:56:29 PM by CrazyG »

basilbrush

Re: Will it be a good idea to get a used 2005 smart forfour???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:24:42 AM »

I have the same set up on a 2004 model. I have 27,000 miles on the clock, but the one
you're enquiring about is still just below average. If you really mean kilometres and not
miles it's well below. Check the service history if there is one, and see if it has been
serviced properly. Being automatic you won't be able to blow the engine.
In automatic mode it will change up obviously, but even in manual mode it will still
change up itself near the redline to protect the engine. It's a Mitsubishi engine and
they're generally regarded as being fairly bombproof. In theory this sort of engine
could go round the clock twice and few people have reported engine trouble on the
forums. The oil specified is fully synthetic which goes round the engine very fast from
cold and usually keeps very clean between services.
Servicing itself is pretty reasonable, A service I pay about £127 and B service about
£212 ,that's from an independent Smart garage. There are small issues like doors
that only affect some people, like any car, some may have issues. I've had mine four
years and it's had four tyres, wipers and a battery for maintenance.
Have it checked out and see if it's got a warranty, apart from that if it's well maintained
and a good example you should be okay.
Performance wise it's pretty nippy from a standstill. Overtaking when you kickdown is
phenomenal, it's a pocket rocket. At 4000 rpm when the variable valve timing kicks in
it will really shift.
Anyway good luck and I hope you join us.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:50:04 PM by CrazyG »

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »

Performance quite ok. 10.5s 0-100kms/h. 180km/h max speed.

I have 140.000kms on the clock, and the engine runs smooth, pulls great, and the fuel economy is EXCELENT. And i drive it quite hard. The only problem is the throttle valve, that gets dirty and sticks, making the ECU put the car into limp mode (limited power). But that can very easily and cheaply be cleaned and you're good to go for another year or two..

The auto also has a few glitches when selecting reverse, but nothing serious, and you can learn your way around them.

I expect mine to last at least 300.000 of my kind of driving.

shrimpy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »

Wow..thx for the reply..

seems it would be a good choice for me, the 2005 smart forfour.

i am calling for inspection..haha....

thanks again..

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »

I think the forfour suffers very few issues!!

It's well built and the mechanicals are Japanese so I really wouldn't worry!!

Plus we are all here to help you with minimal cost fixes should anything go wrong ;)

JJ