forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Buying a DIESEL ForFour  (Read 19229 times)

basilbrush

Re: Buying a DIESEL ForFour
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »

What does your original brochure say then? My original 2004 brochure is in pdf form on this site and offers five speed manual with softouch plus as an option. I think you might be confusing the model with paddle shifts as being fundamentally different.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:36:10 AM by basilbrush »

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »

What does your original brochure say then? My original 2004 brochure is in pdf form on this site and offers five speed manual with softouch plus as an option. I think you might be confusing the model with paddle shifts as being fundamentally different.

Seriously dude give us some credit, I know the paddles were an addtional option for the AMT! ::)

When I was looking 3 years ago smart dealers would list two AMT gearboxes for the forfour, I even asked what the difference was and was told one didn't have the auto mode (and before you jump on me again) I did reference to the forfour.

And remember in the UK we didn't get every option and every specification of the forfour - we got the basic line up.
Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »

Ok guys...let's keep it friendly....please....and agree to disagree for the moment....
Personally I've never seen or heard of a full auto only ForFour....that's not to say anyone is right or wrong.
I'll wait until I see proof...either see one in the flesh, or have someone tell me they have one....
or see it listed/described in a Smart brochure, ok ?

But whatever the whichnesses of the wherefores and the why's, there is basically to all intents and purposes
a choice of either a 5 speed manual or a 6 speed automatic (in whatever set-up or guise it happens to be).
Methinks we should compare brochures/booklets etc at the Smart Fest and say no more about it, eh ?

As to 'softip' and 'softouch' on the auto........
I thought this followed the precident already set by the ForTwo....and it would make sense.
'Softouch' means you can if you select manual operation select the next gear up or down by 'touching'
the gearstick forwards or backwards.
'Softip' is much the same in that you can select a gear up or down using the 'tips' of your fingers
on the paddleshifts.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:19:42 PM by CrazyG »
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

Unknown

• A spare part that no-one has a use for...
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 05:55:55 PM »

Ok guys...let's keep it friendly....please....and agree to disagree for the moment....
Personally I've never seen or heard of a full auto only ForFour....that's not to say anyone is right or wrong.
I'll wait until I see proof...either see one one in the flesh, orf have someone tell me they have one....
or see it listed/described in a Smart brochure, ok ?

But whatever the whichnesses of the wherefores and the why's, there is basically to all intents and purposes
a choice of either a 5 speed manual or a 6 speed automatic (in whatever set-up or guise it happens to be).
Methinks we should compare brochures/booklets etc at the Smart Fest and say no more about it, eh ?

As to 'softip' and 'softouch' on the auto........
I thought this followed the precident already set by the ForTwo....and it would make sense.
'Softouch' means you can if you select manual operation select the next gear up or down by 'touching'
the gearstick forwards or backwards.
'Softip' is much the same in that you can select a gear up or down using the 'tips' of your fingers
on the paddleshifts.

Nowt to with the paddles, they are just an add-on for the AMT.

By smart standards.

Softip is the manual mode and/or clutch pedalless AMT 'box. Whether this is by means of the stick or paddles to flick through the gears.
Softouch is the AMT 'box with both automatic and manual modes (softip). So you can either 'manually' flick through the gears in manual mode or select automatic mode for the gearbox gubbings to select the gear.

Alice (1.3 Pulse forfour) 2007 - 2012 Zoe (1.4 SE Corsa) 2012 -

BlackDog

• An old git
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »

There are 2 versions of the AMT box.  

From my car's datasheet I have a 717.474 AMT box installed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:57:36 AM by BlackDog »
David

basilbrush

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »

That's correct one for the lighter engines and one for the engines with extra torque. Four gearboxes if you count the two manuals, but I believe just two types manual or 6speed semi auto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:30:05 PM by basilbrush »

Ferrina

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 10:27:24 PM »

Paddles are just in-line resistors, the gearbox changes the same.
Pages: 1 [2]