forfour.co.uk

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Expanding foam... In doors?  (Read 10405 times)

JonoC

• 1.5 CDI Forfour Running on TD 16" Pro 1.2s
Expanding foam... In doors?
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »

Is this a good idea? Was going to take my rear speakers out a little bit and fill with expanding foam..., Leave the spaker in as its sets, Take it back out and trim so that my speakers will fit correctly:)! The road noise is just annoying me! Plus would this make my speakers louder? Any ideas? I really dont want to take the plastic panels off the sides as Im usually hand fisted haha :-[
Meditate On Bassweight - DMZ

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
Re: Expanding foam... In doors?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:53:33 AM »

doesn't sound like a good idea to me  :(

i would personally get a bag of fiberous filling from a craft shop and stuff that round. Much better for road noise insulation

there is a guide on here for adding sound deadening to the doors though.

JJ

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:12 AM »

Expanding foam will go everywhere, stick on the window, cables, everything.  Have a friend help you take the door skins off (both inside and outside) and use some specialized stuff on them.. It will deaden some of the road noise and the stereo will sound a bit clearer as well.

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:30:42 AM »

Expanding foam is not a good idea ! !  You don't know where it will get to when you press the nozzle.
And you definitely do not want it anywhere near the window winder mechanisms or the door openers.
And as for putting your speakers in while the stuff is setting/going-off.....no way.

Even fibrous material as suggested by JJ is not a good idea either.

There really is only one way to sound deaden, and that is using the proper sheets of
sound deadener stuck to the inside of the door skins/panels.   If as you say you don't fancy
the task then I'd suggest that you find a Smart Independant willing to take the door skins off
and do it.  It won't be cheap, but it will be done properly, and if they do any damage then
they'll have to fix it.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

JonoC

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:09:41 PM »

Hmmm Ive gathered with the expanding foam! However! I have a new plan, Ive got a metre by metre section of miothene! This stuff is brilliant, its 15mm thick and we use it to cover grounding during winter to stop frosting the tempertaure diffrence is usually 6 C less if we dont use it. Plan is to cover the back wall of the plastic with two layers! Hopefully keep my car more insualted and more moisture proofing, Then Ive got hold of 30mm poly make up similar to sponge, This stuff is dense, Not cheap at £20 a square meter but it feels heavy. I got it from an upholstery shop and usually its used in bar stools! Next I was going to layer this and cut the shape of the speaker out for fitting! Is there anyway way just to take the interior leaf of the door off? I.e. all the grey plastic?

Cheers!

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:15:24 PM »

Yes, you can remove the interior door card without the exterior one, but not the other way around. Remove the door handle, grip, and i think the upholstered piece has to come off as well. When i did this on a friends car, i removed all inside and outside skins anyway, because there was also some leather trims going on etc.

JonoC

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »

Sweet! I'm firstly doing this on the rear doors and then maybe the front. So you can take the interior card off the rear doors without removing the exterior, as you say by taking the handle off ? And then does it just pop off from the door because you can see the inisde door plastic attachers.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:40:47 PM by CrazyG »

Problemchild

• BRABUS Owner
  • Administrator
  • 100 smiles per gallon........... BRISTOL, UK
    • EVILUTION
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

don't forget to take lots of pics and do a guide :)

JJ

Alex

• Romania
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »

I think there are also some hidden screws behind the door grip (silver rectangular bit that you grab when you pull the door to close it). Pop that off with a flat blade screwdriver.

JonoC

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 02:32:37 PM »

Ahh great yeah I'll have a go of doing a guide :) I just really don't want to take the exterior panel off as knowing me I'll break it ! The interior looks easier to get off ! :) I have all my materials ready, I just need to drill new holes for my coaxials ! and then I'll sort sound deadening :) I'll have a go tonight of taking the skin off !
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:43:02 PM by CrazyG »

JonoC

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »

Well I've done one side, really bad idea haha. Took the upholstery bit off and couldn't get the rest of door off, mainly due to me not wanting to break anything. Done a proper rig up job on it, I used sound deadening sticky to the far wall of plastic, then I "No More Nails'd" strips of miothene to this using two layers. Then finally stuffed the port with the 30mm poly, just kept stuffing that poly all around the inside of the door and attached some to the miothene leaving enough room for my speaker, Doesnt sound so hollow now but not tested it yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:45:14 PM by CrazyG »

CrazyG

• Owner of 3x 454 + 3x ForTwo !
  • Administrator
  • London Heathrow airport area.
    • S2smarts
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:07 PM »

You really don't want to surround the speaker with the wrong sort of foam/padding.
The speaker uses the interior of the door like a sound box, just like speakers in cabinets
you have in the house.....so any foam you put around it must be accoustically transparent.
If not you have effectively limited the sound area to the space just round the speaker.
And you can imagine just how bad that will sound.......!  Muffled, no depth of sound stage
or stereo imagery...in fact it will be 'dead' soundwise.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
454 - Brabus (mapped, Willwood brakes, coilovers etc etc)
454 - Passion CDi 95hp (manual, full Brab body kit, coilovers etc)
454 - Passion 1.3 (manual, Brab body kit, lowered etc) [SORN'd]
451 - Pulse Turbo [my daily drive] (mapped, coilovers etc)
450 - 'Widestar' Passion 700cc [SORN'd]

JonoC

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »

I Hope its not a big deal to remove a little :) Its a proper rig up job to be fair, Just keep thinking its got to have been better than what was already there, However as you say it may cause my speakers to muffle ... Oh well Ive not wired my speakers to the amplifiers yet however Ive got them fiited I.e. cutting half of 2 lugs off the speaker and using the standard smart car speaker covers, All looks standard inside apart from my head unit.. Oh and the wopping 12 inch woofer in the boot :P

Fox

• Luton
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »

If you're packing in the sound proofing, especially up around the speaker, may I suggest that you look into incorporating an exhaust port into your doors?

It is a one-way-procedure but could help with any problems arising from a loss of space behind the speaker being replaced with sound deadening. Even a small exhaust port can relieve a build-up of pressure.

There's a lot of mathematics to look into but you can do it the easy way by drilling a small hole and then expanding it bit by bit. You could even pop in one of those funky port tubes :)

I played around with the idea of putting one in the door pocket, thus giving a channel for the bass pressure to escape into.
Also, if it goes wrong you could fill it with a rubber grommet and then shove your shammy leather or whatever you keep in there and it won't look toooo crappy.

I've not done much of the science stuff, but I'd like to put it up as an idea at least.
One Saab forfour, one Saab Vector Sport.